Red Poppy Paperweight by Caithness Glass
  • I have a few of them, and I think they are all fascinating in one way or another
  • So optically speaking, this is all very interesting
  • Another feature of this paperweight that I like is that Caithness looks like it used amber-yellow glass to create the paperweight, but I think that is just an illusion

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I purchased this glass paperweight in Bloomingdale’s at a time when they carried Caithness art glass. I don’t think they carry it anymore. Caithness is a company from Scotland that produces gorgeous handmade glass paperweights. I have a few of them, and I think they are all fascinating in one way or another. Some of their paperweights have a flower inside, or the creation of a flower. In other words, from the unique way that they create it, it is meant to look like a flower.

This round paperweight, named Red Poppy, is about three inches in diameter. The way that Caithness fashioned it, it looks as though they sliced off part of the globe shape in the front

at an angle. (It is hard to explain. You really need to see samples of other flower-themed paperweights on the website.) This angular slicing method allows us to view a smaller version of the poppy if we look straight ahead at it. At the same time, we can also see magnified side views of it, if we turn the piece from one side to the other. So optically speaking, this is all very interesting.

The poppy flower in the paperweight’s center is a beautiful orange color, and the inner portion of the flower is black. So this flower and the paperweight in general has a Halloween feeling about it because of the black and orange combination. The poppy has ...

• a lot of movement in it, too. It looks like it has opened midway, so it is still in the process of opening up. The bright orange petals look like brush strokes of oil paint that all meet underneath the paperweight, in the center. So it really has an authentic look of an actual flower.

Another feature of this paperweight that I like is that Caithness looks like it used amber-yellow glass to create the paperweight, but I think that is just an illusion. I think it is really clear glass, and in the background there is an amber screen of some kind that features tiny bubbles that almost look like water droplets. So there is a lot of

detail in this piece to absorb and admire.

Overall, I like the richness of this piece and the combination of orange and black. Part of the black even looks translucent, and part of it actually looks like it is blending with the orange. That’s what makes a handmade glass piece so special. The end product features unique little details that you might not get if it were mass-produced.

The Caithness Glass website showcases all kinds of paperweights and glass pieces, including limited-edition paperweights and discontinued items. So if you love collecting glass paperweights or know someone who loves them, then it would be worth your while to explore the website and see the many unusual products that Caithness has to offer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4622011398741131/k2311a0122/1.22.11