Bluebird of Happiness Figurine by Terra Studios
  • The way I ended up getting this piece is an interesting story
  • And if I remember correctly, it only cost five dollars at the time
  • I thought it was so cute, and I liked its simplicity and color, so naturally I purchased it
  • I think it's nice that the site is informative, and that they share some details about the bird-making process

• by Lisa Pellegrini

The way I ended up getting this piece is an interesting story. I was in the Norman Rockwell Museum in Philadelphia, PA, because I had done a charcoal drawing for the president of the museum. It was a drawing of Norman Rockwell himself, and I went there to see it on display. As I was leaving the museum, I passed a small gift shop that consisted of just a few cases of items for sale. That was when I came across this little “bluebird of happiness” figurine. And if I remember correctly, it only cost five dollars at the time. (This was way back in the early 1990’s.) I thought it was so cute, and I liked its simplicity and color, so naturally I purchased it. Isn’t that funny? I went to the museum to see a

piece of art that I created myself, and I ended up buying a piece of art that someone else had created. Sure, it is not a painting, but it is art of a different form.

Terra Studios was established in 1975, and the bluebird of happiness is one of their most famous creations. The studio has created an entire series of glass bluebirds for sale. They have baby bluebirds, mini bluebirds, and mother and baby bluebirds, just to name a few in the collection. The site even gives you the history of the bluebird of happiness and how it has become an inspiration to people.

The bluebird that I purchased was the baby bluebird, and he is about two and a quarter inches high and two inches long. He has a big, domed head and a perky tail ...

• that stands upright. The tail has three grooves in it, which indicates where his feathers are. He has a tiny beak, and it looks like the studio pinched the glass together to form the beak. His eyes are two little indentations on either side of his head. Then what really finishes off the piece beautifully is the round, curved base that the baby bluebird sits on.

The bluebird and base are made of a captivating blue glass that you can just about see through if you hold it up to the light. It is a truly dazzling shade of blue, because it is deeper than turquoise but not rich enough to be cobalt blue. It is almost like the color of a London blue topaz gemstone, if you know what that looks like. So it has very deep

tones of aqua in it. It is stunning! On the Terra Studios website, it says that they use white sand and black copper oxide as part of the process of creating the bluebirds. I think it’s nice that the site is informative, and that they share some details about the bird-making process. I don’t always come across art glass websites that are so explanatory.

This adorable little bluebird would make a thoughtful and wonderful gift for someone who has been going through a rough time lately and needs an inspirational gift that symbolizes joy. Anyone who loves birds would be thrilled and grateful to receive one of these glass bluebirds, or even to go on the Terra Studios website and just browse. The prices of the birds are reasonable. They range from $7.49 to $17.99. Have fun exploring!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4622011398731131/k2311a0122/1.22.11