Beige and White Flower Paperweight from Schuster Studios  » Gifts  »
  • I bought a couple of Schuster Studios paperweights at an art and jewelry gallery near my home
  • I love discovering different glass artists across the country, because I collect glass art and I love seeing the personal touch that each of the artists puts into their work
  • I think they look like dew drops on the petals
  • I like that Schuster paired beige up with white instead of a dark color or a flashy color
  • If you are searching for a Valentine's Day gift for a woman who collects paperweights, then I would recommend browsing at the pieces on the Schuster Studios website

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I bought a couple of Schuster Studios paperweights at an art and jewelry gallery near my home. I have actually purchased a large variety of dazzling glass pieces from that gallery over the years, but this exquisite paperweight is one of my favorites. Schuster Studios became established in 1972, and they create handblown glass paperweights as well as stained glass pieces. I love discovering different glass artists across the country, because I collect glass art and I love seeing the personal touch that each of the artists puts into their work. They each have their own artistic vision, and it shines through in all of my pieces.

This

round paperweight measures about four inches in diameter. In the center of the clear glass is a beige and white flower whose four petals extend out to each inner edge of the paperweight. The edges of the petals are white, while the petals themselves are beige. In the very center of the flower we see a bubble that almost looks silver, like a Christmas ball ornament. Scattered throughout the piece are much smaller bubbles in varying sizes. I think they look like dew drops on the petals. Below the petals are dreamy white swirls.

First of all, I love the fact that this flower is beige, because I ...

• don’t have any other beige paperweights. Beige seems to be an underused color in handmade paperweights, and I think that’s a shame. There is something very calming and appealing about the color beige. Maybe that’s because it is a creamy color that I associate with vanilla ice cream, as well as butter pecan and butter almond. So I guess you could say that it’s a “sweet” color that I associate with dessert!

I like that Schuster paired beige up with white instead of a dark color or a flashy color. A dark or flashy color would take my attention away from the beige. But because white and beige

are similar in tone, the white edging of the petals does not take my focus off of the beige flower. Instead, I think the two colors work well together to create a flower that is heavenly to look at. It is soft and graceful looking. The white here is not a stark white that blinds you. It is a milky white, so it almost looks translucent.

If you are searching for a Valentine’s Day gift for a woman who collects paperweights, then I would recommend browsing at the pieces on the Schuster Studios website. Their flower paperweights are beautiful, and so are the paperweights that they create using dichroic glass.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4622011398721131/k2311a0122/1.22.11