Snowy White Paperweight by Marilyn Kimble Holt  » Gifts  »
  • The pieces that I bought from Marilyn were each a different shape and color
  • I like to refer to it as a snowy paperweight
  • But I love how the white looks sheer and translucent in many areas of the paperweight, and that's another reason why it looks like snow
  • You would think that a white paperweight would be a little boring, and there wouldn't be much there to get excited about

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I had the pleasure of meeting this glass artist, Marilyn Kimble Holt, at a local expo several years ago. She had many of her beautiful art glass figurines and paperweights on display and for sale. So I was lucky that I had the chance to purchase a few of her pieces. I collect glass paperweights as well as perfume bottles and animal figurines, so I was thrilled to be able to add Marilyn’s pieces to my collection. Paperweight collecting is very addicting once you get started with it, so I have not been adding any new paperweights to my collection lately. I just want to enjoy the pieces that I already have.

The pieces that I bought from Marilyn were each a different shape and color. This particular one is a

round paperweight, about two and a half inches in diameter. I like to refer to it as a “snowy” paperweight. That’s because when you look inside it, it looks like a blizzard scene. We see a swirl of white that begins at the top center of the paperweight and continues all through the paperweight, right down to the bottom center. So to me, it looks like a windy snowstorm, with snow blowing around so hard that you would have a hard time seeing where you’re going if you were driving or even walking. But I love how the white looks sheer and translucent in many areas of the paperweight, and that’s another reason why it looks like snow. It has that powdery and feathery soft look about it. It also ...

• has a milky white look like the moon, so it seems like this is a blizzard scene that is taking place at night.

Interspersed between the white swirls are glittery, rainbow-colored crystals. I don’t know whether they are actually crystals, but it looks like sparkling fairy dust that was somehow mixed into the piece and incorporated with the swirls. You can get a good look at them if you turn the piece from side to side. That makes the inside of this paperweight look even more like a wintery scene. It’s as though light is reflecting off of the snowflakes and giving some of them a frosty, iridescent glow.

So as you can see, this is a fascinating paperweight. You would think that a white paperweight would be a little boring, and

there wouldn’t be much there to get excited about. But that is not the case with this piece. I am happy that Marilyn had this piece in her collection at the expo, because it was the only white piece that I saw there. I bought it because I don’t have any other white glass paperweights. So this piece is very special to me.

If you are interested in seeing Marilyn’s work, just go online and google “Glass by Marilyn.” There is a white piece in her gallery there that has a similar look to the paperweight I bought, except the piece on her site is tall and it’s almost pear-shaped. Marilyn, if you ever get the chance to read this, I want to thank you for bringing these beautiful and intriguing pieces to me!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4622011398701131/k2311a0122/1.22.11