Black and White Paperweight by Dynasty Gallery
  • Black and white is always an intriguing combination, because it is dramatic, and I think the fact that this is a large paperweight makes it even more dramatic
  • You would think that because it is large, it would need a splash of color or a more unusual design to make it interesting
  • But I prefer to just think of the design as a zebra-like pattern, and I like the dramatic contrast of the stark white with the inky black
  • I had never heard of the Dynasty Gallery before I bought this paperweight, but I hope that I will see more of their pieces in the future

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I saw this paperweight in a gift shop in Chesapeake City, MD, when I was visiting relatives. I was in the process of buying a couple of other items in the shop, and my eyes kept resting on this paperweight. I couldn’t leave the shop without buying it, knowing that I only get to Chesapeake City once every year or two. And it was a good price for a paperweight this large (about five and a half inches in diameter). It was only $30, and I loved the design, so I purchased it.

The design is very basic. There are alternating black

and white swirls going all the way across the paperweight, so it makes me think of a zebra. I have many paperweights, but I didn’t have any in black and white, so this was a rare opportunity for me to get one finally. Black and white is always an intriguing combination, because it is dramatic, and I think the fact that this is a large paperweight makes it even more dramatic.

You would think that because it is large, it would need a splash of color or a more unusual design to make it interesting. But I think it looks great just ...

• the way it is. I think that the addition of a color would only ruin the piece. Some people might think the simple black and white design here looks like prison stripes, and that might make the piece look depressing. But other people might look at the paperweight and think of the song “Ebony and Ivory” and its inspirational message.

We could also see the black and white combination as a struggle between good (white) and evil (black), and how those two forces are constantly at war with each other. And consequently, we are always at war within ourselves, as the good

in us tries to overcome the evil. The continuous swirls in the paperweight could represent that chaos. So this paperweight can even take on philosophical meanings if you want it to.

But I prefer to just think of the design as a zebra-like pattern, and I like the dramatic contrast of the stark white with the inky black. I think it is mesmerizing, and black and white can be sexy even in fashion and jewelry. I had never heard of the Dynasty Gallery before I bought this paperweight, but I hope that I will see more of their pieces in the future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4622011398681131/k2311a0122/1.22.11