The Orient Chinese Restaurant and Lounge  » Restaurants  »
1.5
1025 NE Broadway Blvd, Portland, Oregon, USA
  • I had driven by this restaurant for years but had never gone in until one day my husband was out of town and I decided I needed a treat for lunch
  • How do I know it is the kind of bag you get when you buy something at the dollar store
  • I recommend you go to one of the other Chinese restaurants on Broadway and stay away from this place

• by loveitorleaveit

I was hungry and lazy one day and thought Chinese food sounded good. I had driven by this restaurant for years but had never gone in until one day my husband was out of town and I decided I needed a treat for lunch.

The Orient has a special luncheon menu you can order from for dine in or take out. For $5.50 you get one 3 inch long egg roll, fried or steamed rice and the entree of your choice from around 20 options on the lunch menu. If you dine in you are also give the soup of the day which you can pay an extra .50 for won ton soup of you do not like your soup of the day option. If you take out you must pay extra for the soup.

I decided to

pick my lunch up because this place looks really creepy and I did not want to eat there. I was told it would take 5 minutes from when I hung up for my food to be ready and it was ready in that time.

The decor:

In a word, the decor was bad. No, maybe bad does not describe it. They had all the usual Chinese Restaurant Decor, the hanging paper lanterns, lions, Posters with Chinese characters. It looked like any budget Chinese restaurant I had ever been in. This place has horrible upkeep. The place was clean and I did not see any actual dirt but there was a lot of peeling paint and there were tiles missing in the bathroom entry. If I had just stepped in looking for a place to eat ...

• I would have walked out. There were paper signs taped on top of each other to tell you the special of the day. The whole place just looked really trashy.

The food: My food was presented in a plastic divided container much like they give you for leftovers other places. What killed me was that it was put into a dollar store bag with a hole in it. How do I know it is the kind of bag you get when you buy something at the dollar store? It said so on the bag. I usually get those thank you generic bags with Chinese food and I have never seen anyone reuse a bag like that for food. I am not sure how sanitary it was.

My food looked ok. The rice was perfect, the

egg roll although small was good and tasted like I expected. My entree was just ok. It was chicken and mostly dark meat. It was very salty and a little over cooked. It tasted like Panda Express or what you would get at a mall food court Chinese Restaurant and not like real Chinese food. I was not given any sauces or even a fork or a spoon which since they reused a bag I guess was a method of saving money.

I will not be eating here again. I was pretty creeped out by the interior and the food was mediocre. Even if I take out again I do not want anyone in that place touching my food. I recommend you go to one of the other Chinese restaurants on Broadway and stay away from this place.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 722011397661031/k2311a0122/1.22.11