MMS171W Philips Speaker system (includes subwoofer)  » Electronics  »
  • I've owned these speakers for about 3 months now, and I enjoy my music very loud when played on the computer
  • I love the whole white-gray theme of the speakers, along with the neat blue-light on the subwoofer
  • I'm very impressed with the overall durabililty of these speakers
  • CONVENIENT REMOTE The speaker system has a remote which is actually corded, but extends to just about anywhere where it's needed, and has a knob on it to adjust the system sound
  • I'd recommend this product to anyone interested in great sounding media, and wants speakers that'll last them for years

• by godsmacked460

I’ve owned these speakers for about 3 months now, and I enjoy my music very loud when played on the computer. These speakers help me do just that, while controlling how loud the music can actually get. These speakers have a total of 38 Watts System power. The subwoofer has about 35 watts of power, meaning the other desktop speakers have a combined total of about 3 watts of power.

APPEARANCE The speakers have a very attractive appearance. I love the way they look. The two desktop speakers which it comes with are very short, meaning they can easily fit just about anywhere.

I keep mine on a very short shelf on my computer desk, where my old speakers couldn’t fit, so now I’ve already saved myself some desk-space. I love the whole white-gray theme of the speakers, along with the neat blue-light on the subwoofer.

The subwoofer is conveniently shaped to fit just about anywhere, I keep mine on the floor of my computer desk, where it fits perfectly into just about any of the cubby holes down there.

PERFORMANCE Just like with any speakers, the actual performance can varry based on a few different things. Sound Card being the primary effectiveness at a set of computer-speakers. My sound card is a vista-compatible card, meaning it’s got all of the extra cool sound effects.

However, the speakers sound great hooked up to just about anything. I can even take the cord which plugs into the back of my computer, and plug it into my Samsung Mp3 Player (standard 2. 5mm Headphone jack), and the things still crank with all of the power I could ever really need.

DURABILITY The speakers show no sign of wear, the sound quality seems to be about ...

• the same as the day I purchased them, 3 months ago. I tend to really keep the volume up as high as it goes, which usually results in blowing the speakers, meaning eventually one side, or neither side of the speakers won’t function normally, or at all. I’ve gone through several pairs of computer speakers due to bad-quality durability, they can’t withstand their full capabilities for more than a few days.

I’m very impressed with the overall durabililty of these speakers!

CONVENIENT REMOTE The speaker system has a “remote” which is actually corded, but extends to just about anywhere where it’s needed, and has a knob on it to adjust the system sound. It can’t adjust the power of the subwoofer, however. The only way to adjust the power on the subwoofer is to use the knob directly on the right-hand side.

I love the convenience

of the remote, it’s a lot easier than having to locate the speaker, and then use that knob. I prefer to have the volume control and speakers seperate from eachother. GAMES, DVD’S, INTERNET As said on the product packaging, this system works great with games, dvd’s and internet.

I’ve never experienced a dry moment playing any types of games when using these speakers. They actually make guns sound like they’re being fired, they make shouts sound like they’re actually degrading. They make movies sound like they’re meant to be.

I love the speakers for media and games. OVERALL SATISFACTION Overall, I’m very satisfied with this speaker system. They’ve got plenty of power for a personal computer, are very durable, look great, fit into small spaces, have a convenient remote, and are made by one of the leading electronics companies! I’d recommend this product to anyone interested in great sounding media, and wants speakers that’ll last them for years!

victor morello says :

hi, I bought my speakers last year, and when i connect them to my computer there is no sound. What are my options? Is there somewhere I can send them to get fixed?

John says :

You should check to make sure that it’s not a problem with your computer or sound card before seeking to have them repaired. Have you tried different speakers on your computer? If you haven’t I would suggest doing so.

Galega says :

First thing you need to check that there is no problem from your computer. Just following some simple tricks may help you here. Click or double-click the Hardware and Sound or Sound icon. In Windows XP and older, click Manage audio devices under Sound. In the Sound window, on the Playback tab, find the entry for the speakers connected to your computer. Right-click on the speaker’s entry and select Set as Default Device.

If everything is fine there and still there isn’t any sound, then there might be some issues with your speaker. Visit a service center of Philips and let them fix the issue.

randall says :

can i hook this up to a tv

John says :

It depends on your TV. Your TV would need to have a 3.5mm socket in order for them to be compatible. If you don’t have one you may be able to get an adapter. However, it’s tough to say without knowing exactly which model TV you have.

Galega says :

Yes, you can. It is not difficult to connect this Philips speaker to your television and get real-life sound. The way to connect a stereo to a TV is to connect A/V audio cables to the audio out jacks on the TV and to the audio in jacks in the back of the stereo. You will find them on the back of the TV.

Cammie says :

i cant figure out how to set it up. i have it all plugged into the right stuff i just cant hear sound and my computer says that there is nothing plugged into it i need help

John says :

One of the first things that you should do is to check to make sure it’s plugged into the proper slot on your sound card. Also try testing different speakers on your computer, if you have them. There are also many other things that can cause the problem. If it persists, I would suggest referring to this page on Philips website which includes more detailed steps to try:

Galega says :

If you have plugged it correctly, then it should work fine. There might be some sound settings issue with your computer which you may be required to be fixed. Click or double-click the Hardware and Sound or Sound icon. In Windows XP and older, click Manage audio devices under Sound. In the Sound window, on the Playback tab, find the entry for the speakers connected to your computer. Right-click on the speaker s entry and select Set as Default Device.

Donald Dees says :

I purchased this system. I have it plugged into the green jack on the back of my computer Dell Inspiron 531 Desktop . Even plugged in, I keep getting the message No Audio Devices Installed. I`ve been chatting with Dell Support and was advised I should get in contact with Phillips

John says :

I’ve worked with several Dell computers, and the “no audio devices installed” message usually always points to a driver issue. To confirm, you can test different speakers on your desktop just to be sure. If the problem persists, you should download and reinstall the audio driver because it’s likely to be corrupted. Here’s a link to Dell’s website to download it: Click audio and then select your sound card.

Galega says :

You have been in touch with Dell Support team. Hence, I would assume that they must have guided you through sound driver and settings issue and there is no problem there now. You are still facing the same issue. The first thing you can do in this scenario is to connect another speaker or even headphones in your computer that is compatible and see if there is any issue of sound. Second, you can call Philips and ask them to troubleshoot the problem you are facing.

kditty says :

yes, it says you can on the back of the box, maybe depending on your tv im not sure what type you have. these may not be ideal for surround sound though.

Galega says :

There isn’t any doubt in the fact that the brand of TV will be important here. However, almost all TVs in the contemporary times support this type of connectivity. The way to connect a stereo to a TV is to connect A/V audio cables to the audio out jacks on the TV and to the audio in jacks in the back of the stereo. You will find them on the back of the TV.

Tammy says :

I just got dell studio computer with windows vista and cannot seem to get speakers to work?????? can anyone help? i have done just about everything i can think of. thanks.

John says :

Tammy, it probably a good idea to try to isolate the problem to either the speakers or the compputer. Test out a different set of speakers if you have them. If no other speakers work, it could be a driver or sound card problem. Go to Dell’s website and install the latest audio driver.

Galega says :

The problem can be there with your speaker or with your computer. Ensure that the sound card is updated. Ensure that there is no volume control on your computer. Check Audio devices in the Control Panel and see nothing is abnormal there. Further, you can do in this scenario is to connect another speaker or even headphones in your computer that is compatible and see if there is any issue of sound. Second, you can call Philips and ask them to troubleshoot the problem you are facing.

Sandie says :

where can I download drivers for this system

John says :

Sandie, this system does not require drivers. Windows should recognize it automatically after it’s connected. If you need a driver, it’s likely to be the driver for your sound card.

Galega says :

You seem to be confused about sound driver. Actually, you don’t need any driver for this speaker. You need sound driver for your computer. If there isn’t any sound output and your speaker is in good condition, then sound driver might be creating the issue. You can download the sound driver from the official website of the brand of computer/laptop you are using.

crystal says :

John says :

Here’s a link that includes steps on settings everything up: I suggest checking the pictures to make sure you have the wires correct. If it persists you can also test different speakers on your PC, to see if it’s a computer problem.

Galega says :

You should ensure that there isn’t any issue with your computer - hardware, software or just volume settings. Just following some simple tricks may help you here. Click or double-click the Hardware and Sound or Sound icon. In Windows XP and older, click Manage audio devices under Sound. In the Sound window, on the Playback tab, find the entry for the speakers connected to your computer. Right-click on the speaker s entry and select Set as Default Device.

If everything is fine there and still there isn t any sound, then there might be some issues with your speaker. Visit a service center of Philips and let them fix the issue.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161803139700831/k2311a0318/3.18.07