Movie “30 Days of Night”  » Movies  »
  • I don't consider myself a huge vampire fan, so much as a fan of a certain type of horror movie
  • I enjoy supernatural horror films quite a bit
  • What they do is they pick a northern town, in this case in Alaska that is about to experience 30 days of night

• by duckfan

I adore this movie. I have always loved vampire movies. I don’t consider myself a huge vampire fan, so much as a fan of a certain type of horror movie. I enjoy supernatural horror films quite a bit. A good haunting, a vampire or a curse are my kind of movie. This is one of my favorite vampire movies. So many of them have vampires as the good, sweet brooding guys like Twilight. I don’t believe it for a minute. If vampires were real this movie is exactly as I imagine they would be. Killing machines.

The plot of this movie is great. Vampires exist so they

use some sense so that the whole world does not hunt them down. What they do is they pick a northern town, in this case in Alaska that is about to experience 30 days of night. They are isolated and it is night, no one can get to them. It is a perfect dream for vampires. I cannot imagine how no one thought of this premise for a vampire movie before.

Josh Hartnett plays the main character, a sheriff does a great job in the film. Almost everyone dies, there is lots of blood, some drama as when you get bit you don’t turn right away so your friends are faced with the ...

• difficult decision of killing you before you kill them. Hartnett and the other actors do a good job of both looking scared and of being conflicted.

Instead of having a weak plot like some horror movies, this one has so many layers. We have a crazy guy or so we think, who gets locked in jail who talks about the vampires coming. We get the awesome, strong vampires with their own language, Hartnett’s estranged wife is in the town and there is the drama with that relationship, and in a shocking ending, the most main characters die, but they are victorious, but only because the sherriff basically kills himself to save the

town. He knows he will get vampire strength as he is turning into one but will remain himself. Thinking it is the one way to save the others, he turns vampire, then reconciled with his wife after being hunted for weeks by the vampires he and his wife who lives watch the sunrise together so that he can escape the fate of being a vampire.

Totally a great film, the contrast between the blood and the snow, in particular in the whiteout scene was great. The screaming of the vampires was scary and a bit odd, but I loved this movie and felt for a horror movie it was realistic, far more so than most.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121011396771031/k2311a0121/1.21.11