Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale Book by Holly Black  » Books  »
  • Do you ever wonder why the best fictional adventures seem to happen to the same class of people over and over again
  • I guess what I like about the Urban Fantasy genre is how certain authors tend to push the boundaries a bit, to break out of the mold set by other writers
  • Mainly, while I admire the fact that she plays havoc with the stock characters and doesn't sugar-coat the amorality of the world of faerie, I dislike the strong language and sexual (especially homosexual) overtones she includes in the book
  • We don't make a habit of sheltering our children completely from the world around them, but we do avoid dragging them through the muck of life when possible

• by BeachBum

Do you ever wonder why the best fictional adventures seem to happen to the same class of people over and over again? Most fairy tales involve the fey folk interacting with poor, honest families. The child protagonist is usually highly moral yet misunderstood. Well, author Holly Black stuck to the poor part. As for the rest, she decided to completely shatter the stereotype.

In her book, “Tithe,” Black walks among the seedier members

of society. Her heroine is a shoplifter living in a family situation that put the “D” in dysfunctional. In fact, it is extremely hard to find anybody in her life until her knight comes along that could in any stretch of the imagination be viewed as a role model. It should come as no surprise then that the teen angst of Kaye, her lead character, is so poignant.

I guess what I like about the Urban Fantasy genre is how certain authors tend to push the boundaries a bit, to break out of the mold set by other writers. In this, I see Black succeeding somewhat. However, I’m not sure I’m completely comfortable with the journey she took me on.

Mainly, while I admire the fact that she plays havoc with the stock characters and doesn’t sugar-coat the amorality of the world of faerie, I dislike ...

• Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale Book by Holly Black
      the strong language and sexual (especially homosexual) overtones she includes in the book. I’m not fond of these aspects in any writing, but I especially hate it when it is included in a novel that is classified as literature for young adults. We don’t make a habit of sheltering our children completely from the world around them, but we do avoid dragging them through the muck of life when possible. Having to
      tell my teenagers that the young adult tale I just read is not suitable for them does not put a smile on my day.

That being said, there is enough strong writing in Black’s debut novel to make me want to read her sophomore work. My only hope is that in obliterating the ordinary in her fiction she can keep what is still good about the genre and avoid the gunk she seems tempted to include.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1721011396521031/k2311a0121/1.21.11