Movie “The Spell” (1977)  » Movies  »
2.5
  • I love the 1970's for it's hilarious horror movies
  • It is stale and boring but that is the charm

• by mamjess

I love the 1970’s for it’s hilarious horror movies. I doubt I could ever find and watch them all. Hulu and Netflix have been great resources for me for hilarious horror movies from the ’70’s. What they considered horror is not at all what we think of as horror. To us many of them are not scary at all, but are funny instead. This is a great example of that.

This movie is about witchcraft. The main character, Rita is chubby. The hulu description says she is obese.

In the ’70’s this girl was obese but to modern American audiences she is just overweight. She is mocked by classmates and treated poorly by her father for being fat. Soon a popular girl who makes fun of her is hurt under suspicious circumstances and others start getting hurt or dying.

One of the main horror scenes involves a woman under a curse (so we are told when her husband calls in an expert) whose head explodes. Most horror scenes in this film rely on sound track and whispers. When the witches ...

• start casting spells they use the cliche of chanting and we hear numerous voices including men changing along with them although they are alone.

I did not keep track of the death count in this film but it was low. With the exception of the exploding head there was little horror or blood. The whole suspense or horror aspect of the film was about witchcraft but we learn in the end that the heavy teen, Rita was not behind the horror but a teacher was.

They tried to give the viewers a surprise ending, but

modern viewers will see it coming. We get a final scene of a showdown between mother and daughter, but no one dies. I was waiting for something dramatic, but it never happens.

This film made me laugh and it has great camp value. If you like horror or suspense from the 1970’s you will enjoy this. Trust me there is a reason you have never heard of this before. It is not a movie like halloween that transcends the time. It is stale and boring but that is the charm.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1120011396010631/k2311a0120/1.20.11