Black and White Crystal Sheep
  • I think I bought this crystal figurine in a Hallmark shop in Cape May, NJ, several years ago
  • Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the company
  • I know that it is not a Swarovski piece, because I have many of their pieces, and this doesn't look like their style
  • Anyhow, the end result is cute, and I like how the company faceted his black crystal face and gave him clear crystal eyes with a black dot in the center

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I think I bought this crystal figurine in a Hallmark shop in Cape May, NJ, several years ago. Unfortunately, I don’t know the name of the company. I know that it is not a Swarovski piece, because I have many of their pieces, and this doesn’t look like their style. It could be a Crystal World piece, but it is not featured on the Crystal World website or on the other major sites that carry Crystal World pieces. So it is a mystery piece, but I want to write about it, because it is different from my other sheep figurines.

This sheep is made of clear and black crystal, and it is about

an inch long. It has a clear crystal body, a black crystal head and ears, and black crystal feet. His feet are cute because they are oval, so they look like four eggs that are positioned vertically but slightly tilted. And they are not faceted but smooth, which is also like an egg. This is a chunky little sheep, as opposed to a couple of Swarovski’s sheep figurines. They are not chunky, so because of that, they don’t look like real sheep. Real sheep, with all of their wool, do look fairly puffed out.

Here’s how this company achieved that look. It looks like they melded together two faceted crystal balls, so that ...

• the sheep’s body has a front end and a back end. It think that was clever, because that allowed them to give the sheep some curves. But they could have also created his body using one large oval piece of crystal that was faceted, rather than using two faceted crystal balls and joining them together. Anyhow, the end result is cute, and I like how the company faceted his black crystal face and gave him clear crystal eyes with a black dot in the center. So they look like real eyes. I think all of those details give this sheep some character.

One odd feature of this piece is that the sheep’s head

is wide and pretty flat, and real sheeps’ heads have more dimension and are elongated. But I guess the company thought he would look cuter if they designed him this way. Maybe they thought his moon-shaped head would be in keeping with the wide span of his body.

Sheep lovers would have adored this piece. If only I could tell you who the maker is! The company didn’t put its logo on the figurine. But it would be hard to put it on anyway, because of all the curves and facets in the sheep’s body. This is an adorable little sheep, and I’m glad I had the chance to buy him.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4620011395920631/k2311a0120/1.20.11