Crystal Sun Figurine
  • I bought this piece in 1996 or 1997, so it is pretty old now and it could be retired
  • I love that the clouds were made with frosted, clear crystal
  • I think that makes them look like real clouds, much more so than if they were made with unfrosted crystal
  • That is something that we rarely get to see in crystal pieces, and it serves to add even more interest to a piece that is already very interesting

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I have been a crystal lover and collector for about twenty years now, and I must own at least sixty pieces. This awesome crystal sun is one of my top five favorite pieces and maybe even my very favorite. I only wish I knew who the maker of it was. It looks like it could be a Crystal World piece, but it doesn’t have the Crystal World logo imprinted on it. And it is not on the Crystal World website. I bought this piece in 1996 or 1997, so it is pretty old now and it could be retired. The sun image is not one that you commonly see in crystal figurines, and this figurine is so cute that I was instantly drawn to it. I could

not resist it, and I knew that I had to have it.

This piece is about an inch and a quarter long, and it is made of an amber colored crystal. The head of the sun is shaped like a globe, so it is very dimensional. I love that. The head and face of the sun are made of smooth crystal, and the rays that extend from the head are slightly faceted. That way, when the light hits them, they shine almost like the real rays of the sun. Some of the rays are short and some are long, and they continue up and around the sun’s head in a back-and-forth pattern of short-long-short-long. So that in and of itself makes the sun look very pretty. The sun ...

• has a smiley face that consists of amber crystal eyes that are faceted, which gives the face a tone-on-tone look. And the faceting on the eyes allows them to sparkle nicely against the smooth crystal face. A thin, curved piece of metal was glued on the face to represent the sun’s smile.

Beside the sun is a small, frosted crystal cloud. Right behind the sun is another cloud, and below the sun and the two clouds is a blue crystal base that signifies the sky. The base is shaped like a semi-circle. Whew! That is a lot of detail for such a small piece of crystal. I love that the clouds were made with frosted, clear crystal. I think that makes them look like real clouds, much more

so than if they were made with unfrosted crystal. This way they have that misty, cottony look. That is the way real clouds look. And I love that the designer of this piece chose to make the base a semi-circle shape. That is something that we rarely get to see in crystal pieces, and it serves to add even more interest to a piece that is already very interesting.

The image of the sun is a positive one, and I think the sun image in this figurine is even more positive, because it looks like it is emerging from the clouds. So it looks like it represents a sunrise, which means a new day is here. A new day means new beginnings and a chance to start fresh.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4620011395840631/k2311a0120/1.20.11