Fisher Price Brilliant Basics Baby Block Set  » Baby care  »
2.5
  • While this sounded good in theory, I found that when the babies were not quite old enough to figure out which shape went into which hole, they would become frustrated and usually ended up taking the entire lid off and just putting the blocks in that way
  • I would recommend it to anyone who has older babies, or toddlers, but not for young babies

• by mariekay

This toy is supposed to be a great way to keep a baby or toddler entertained, while also teaching them shape-sorting and hand-eye coordination. The toy is a plastic bucket with a lid that contains different shaped holes. The toy also contains different shaped blocks that correspond with the shaped holes in the lid.. The bucket has a handle so that the toy may be carried around by the child. The blocks are bright and colorful, and the little ones in my care always seem to be attracted to this toy. The toy comes with 10 blocks, two of each shape. The blocks are colored red, purple, orange, green, and blue.

The toy is supposed to teach baby about shape sorting and hand-eye

coordination. While this sounded good in theory, I found that when the babies were not quite old enough to figure out which shape went into which hole, they would become frustrated and usually ended up taking the entire lid off and just putting the blocks in that way. The thing I don’t like about this toy is that the lid doesn’t stay on securely. This makes it too easy for baby to just pull the lid off and put the blocks in. When I originally purchased this product, I though the lid would snap on from the way it was pictured on the box, but the lid just sets on the bucket in a flimsy way and doesn’t snap together or lock at all.

Another concern ...

• I had was that the toy was made of plastic, and I was worried about the safety of it as the babies used to put the blocks in their mouths quite a bit. I had heard some scary things about plastic, and it’s hard to know if a toy is really 100% safe for babies that still put everything in their mouths. Now that the babies are older, they don’t eat the blocks anymore. I still think this toy would be better of it was wooden, or made of a different material. I also think that if the lid would snap on securely, it would make more sense. The toddlers now just use this toy to carry around trucks or legos.

I would not say this

toy is the greatest, but the kids still enjoy playing with it. So, for that reason, it was a decent purchase since I only paid about $10 for it. Although the kids don’t really use it as it’s intended, and don;t really get anything educational from it, I still keep it around and consider it an okay toy. I would recommend it to anyone who has older babies, or toddlers, but not for young babies. The younger ones simply won’t be able to figure out where the blocks go, and since the lid comes off so easily, they will likely just pull it off and throw the blocks in. But, if you are looking for an inexpensive toy that the kids will enjoy, this one works for that.

Julie says :

re : While this sounded good in theory, I found that when the babies were not quite old enough to figure out which shape went into which hole, they would become frustrated and usually ended up taking the entire lid off and just putting the blocks in that way
    My son got it right away He was 18 months when he first figured it out. He only knew about 3 shapes but he’s definitely getting the hang of it. I of course work with him everyday.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5420011395170531/k2311a0120/1.20.11