Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Premium Baking Bar  » Food  »
  • I love using Ghirardelli chocolate bars to bake, and sometimes I get them to munch on when I have a chocolate craving
  • Recently I bought their Semi-Sweet variety to make brownies
  • I tried a couple of squares of this 4 ounce baking bar, and while it was okay, I can definitely see how this is better used for baking than for eating
  • I found that this chocolate bar melted well, and blended well with the butter I used in the recipe
  • Overall, I think if you like to make chocolate desserts like me, I think Ghirardelli is one of the best brands of chocolate bars to use

• by sarahanne

Ghirardelli chocolate is well-known for being a high-quality chocolate and baking bar. I love using Ghirardelli chocolate bars to bake, and sometimes I get them to munch on when I have a chocolate craving! Recently I bought their Semi-Sweet variety to make brownies.

Sometimes I can’t help it; when I have these chocolate bars in my house I’m tempted to sneak little pieces of them. I tried a couple of squares of this 4 ounce baking bar, and while it was okay, I can definitely see how this is better used

for baking than for eating. It had a rich chocolate taste, but it was almost too rich for me to enjoy it. So, I used the rest of the squares to bake.

I found that this chocolate bar melted well, and blended well with the butter I used in the recipe. I also liked that it didn’t immediately harden after it was taken off the heat, as some chocolate does when I try to melt it. I liked that it was also divided up into easily separated squares, so I could ...

• easily measure exactly how much I needed. When I used it in my recipe, I found that it contributed nicely to the other flavors and created a nice, balanced chocolate taste that was neither too strong nor too weak, and I really liked the way they made my brownies turn out. So, overall I would say if I purchase these particular baking bars in the future I will use them for baking purposes only.

I also love that Ghirardelli makes their chocolate bars with pure ingredients, which include sugar, chocolate,

cocoa butter, vanilla, some milk fat, and some soy lecithin for to help keep the other ingredients from separating. These baking bars have 210 calories each and quite a lot of fat, 14 grams and 8 grams of saturated fat. So they aren’t, surprise surprise, all that healthy. But they do contain 15 percent of the daily value of iron, which I think is a good thing.

Overall, I think if you like to make chocolate desserts like me, I think Ghirardelli is one of the best brands of chocolate bars to use.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2719011394281031/k2311a0119/1.19.11