Banquet Frozen Turkey Pot Pie  » Food  »
  • I love pot pies and I think they’re great winter dishes
  • I found that I liked everything about this pot pie except the turkey meat
  • It unfortunately just didn’t look very appetizing
  • So I ate around the pieces of meat and enjoyed the vegetables, pie crust, and sauce, but overall I was disappointed that I really didn’t feel like I could enjoy the main ingredient
  • I think I might have to spend more on my frozen pot pies in order to find ones that have more appetizing meats

• by sarahanne

I love pot pies and I think they’re great winter dishes. But they’re time-consuming to make, so I often resort to eating frozen pot pies in order to satisfy my cravings for them.

Banquet is one company that makes frozen pot pies, and from what I have seen they make the cheapest kinds. I’ve never seen these pot pies selling for more than a dollar. Of course, at only seven ounces they’re maybe half the size of regular pot pies that might be served in restaurants or provided by other frozen food companies, so I guess that’s a trade-off.

This pot pie contains turkey meat chunks mixed with potatoes, peas, and carrots in a light sauce or gravy and encased in a flaky pastry. I found that I liked everything about this pot pie except the turkey meat. It unfortunately just didn’t look very appetizing. It’s obviously

made with dark meat, but not the kind of meat I would like to eat. It looked like it came from parts of the turkey that I’d rather not eat. So I ate around the pieces of meat and enjoyed the vegetables, pie crust, and sauce, but overall I was disappointed that I really didn’t feel like I could enjoy the main ingredient. The vegetables, by contrast, looked very vibrant. The carrots and peas had a nice tender-crisp bite, and the potatoes had a firm shape yet a soft interior. And I really thought the pie crust was just about perfect, very light and flaky and delectable.

Some of the instructions for microwaving I found to be frustrating. For example, one of the things the box instructs you to do is to make a slit in the top crust of the pie before microwaving. I’m betting this ...

• is because this action will help let the steam out. But I discovered I couldn’t effectively slit the pie crust very well while it was frozen, and since the instructions also warn against thawing the pie, I wasn’t sure what to do. So I simply inserted my knife as far as I could, even though it didn’t go all the way through the crust. After microwaving the pie for 4 to 5 minutes and letting it sit for 3 minutes afterward, the instructions say to measure the internal temperature with a food thermometer. I don’t own one of these, so I wasn’t sure how to tell whether it was cooked all the way through. But I dug in anyway and found that it was nice and steamy and cooked through just by following the directions, so I didn’t need the thermometer after all.

This pot pie had

380 calories and 21 grams of fat, 8 grams of which of that is saturated fat, probably from the turkey meat and the shortening in the crust. I like that this pot pie has a lot to offer in terms of nutrition, including vitamin A, calcium, B vitamins, phosphorus, zinc, iron, and magnesium, though for most of these vitamins and minerals the percentage of the daily value is less than 10 percent. It does have a lot of vitamin A, though, providing 20 percent of the daily value, and 15 percent of the daily value of phosphorus.

Overall, this pot pie was all right. Though I enjoyed what I ate, I don’t think I’ll buy it again, because I didn’t like the appearance of the turkey meat. I think I might have to spend more on my frozen pot pies in order to find ones that have more appetizing meats.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2719011394211031/k2311a0119/1.19.11