Citizens Bank of Canada Prepaid Visa Credit Card  » Finance  »
2.0
  • I told the clerk what a waste that I bought the cards for nothing
  • Still, the consumer like myself is left in the dark to figure out up to how much I could use of the $100 per card that I paid for

• by RichieMogwai

I had to buy two Citizens Bank of Canada Prepaid Visa credit cards on January 6, 2011 because I had to do some hotel bookings. The Safeway superstore was still open that night. Each card carried a $100 load. I had hoped there was a bigger denomination but I was out of luck. To cut the story short, when I got to the hostel in Vancouver the next day, I quickly pulled out my prepaid credit cards to pay for one week of stay. To my surprise, the transaction would not go through as the hostel desk clerk tried one card after the other. You could just imagine how much I panicked. I told the clerk what a waste that I bought the cards for nothing.

The

clerk, however, had the foresight to ask me to call the 1-800 number on the card, so I did. To my surprise, customer service answered the call fast. The guy who answered sounded like he was from a call center in India, but he did all right. After getting all my information, he quickly told me that fifteen percent of the amount has to stay in the card, so I could only charge $86.90 maximum to the card. Hence, the information that the card only takes $5.95 in service fees is false. In fact, I had to double-check my balance and as it turns out, after the hostel charged the cards, there was no money left for me to use.

I have to say what a huge amount to ...

• deduct as a service fee; I do not think I will ever patronize this card again. The fee is simply too high, I might as well could have paid in cash and saved $28! Oh well, I guess I would never know these things unless I tried it first. So I am smarter now and I promised myself that I will never make the same mistake again. The fact was I was simply hostaged by time into buying the cards as the hotel booking needed to happen the morning of the night I purchased the cards.

The Safeway cashier who sold me the cards was right, Citizens Bank Prepaid Visa credit cards are activated right away, once the sale is rang in at the point of purchase. Still, the

consumer like myself is left in the dark to figure out up to how much I could use of the $100 per card that I paid for. Indeed, the cards were easy to use, all the hostel clerk had to do was swipe these plastics in the credit card machine as these cards had magnetic stripes too, just like the regular ones. Of course, you might be wondering why I had to use the plastic for the hotel booking, the answer is that I was hoping to use whatever remaining amount I would have left for an online purchase or two. This became impossible however as the remaining balance was eaten up by the horrendous service fee. This is what makes the Citizens Bank Prepaid Visa credit card a bad card, indeed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4219011393760931/k2311a0119/1.19.11