Slo-Niacin Polygel Controlled-Release Niacin 500 mg 100 Tablets  » Health  »
  • I learned later that many people who did not tolerate the side effects well switched to a time release formula and still got good results with lowering their cholesterol, despite that they were not using the so-called “real” niacin
  • I bought the bottle of 100 tablets for my experimental treatment
  • Unfortunately, the niacin had other plans, and humiliating me was one of them

• by reviewabit

I had been taking “regular” niacin to help reduce my cholesterol without statins. When I first began taking it, I experienced the dreaded niacin flush, which can be quite uncomfortable, scary and dramatic– if you don’t already know what you are dealing with. As I took the niacin for longer periods of time, I gradually became immune to the flushing, but eventually, I was ready to increase the dosage, as you must be on a pretty high dose for effects to the blood lipids to show up. I started at 250 mg, of another brand.

Remembering how awful I felt with the flushing, I worried about increasing to 500, which is twice as much. I cannot imagine twice the misery of that first flush attack, so I dreaded the switch. I had been told that the only

“real” niacin was the one that caused the flushing, and that the flush was good for you.

I learned later that many people who did not tolerate the side effects well switched to a time release formula and still got good results with lowering their cholesterol, despite that they were not using the so-called “real” niacin. I spoke with my doctor about it, and she said to go ahead and try the slow release, and if I didn’t see much improvement, to switch back. It seemed like a logical plan, so that’s what I did.

For this purchase, I chose a name brand which I had heard many people back solidly. It is the Slo-Niacin brand. I bought the bottle of 100 tablets for my experimental treatment.

When I took the first dose, despite the double ...

• strength, I had no flush. Without hesitation, I continued on with the therapy, thinking I had nothing to worry about, as after two weeks I still had not experienced a niacin flush. I assumed that the 250 mg had prepared my body enough that this transition was going to be a flush-free breeze, as evidenced by my lack of reaction so far.

Unfortunately, the niacin had other plans, and humiliating me was one of them. I took my niacin before a late night outing with friends to see a play. To my amazement, during the second act, a good two hours after taking the pill, I began to feel the familiar heat in my skin.

Soon, my friends were asking if I was ok and my redness was the center of attention– right in the middle of

an opera house filled with people. Several people sitting nearby were staring at me, and ignoring the play. I rejected multiple offers to call an ambulance, and finally, both my friends (who knew what was happening) and the seated patrons went back to watch their play, as I sat, trying desperately to control the urge to scratch my skin off from the intense itching.

By the time the play was over, the flush was over too. So was this product worth it? Well, yes…the improvements in my blood levels continued to improve, and I rarely had the flush– but it does happen once in awhile. I would still rather have the flush than the horrific side effects and damage to my health that statins offer.

So, I do recommend the Slo Niacin. Just be warned– the “slow” part is not 100% effective all of the time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3418011392420431/k2311a0118/1.18.11