Nature’s Bounty Resveratrol Red Wine Extract 200mg 60 capsules  » Health  »
1.0
  • I had been hearing so much in the news about red wine being good for the heart and even extending life span, I decided to add it to my antioxidant arsenal
  • I thought it was something else, since I had several weeks without any problems, so I eliminated other things until there was nothing left to eliminate but the red wine product
  • I think there probably are some good effects from the product, but it would probably take a lifetime of consuming it to get them
  • I have since seen the ingredient pop up in various multi-supplement preparations, and I have taken it with those without a problem
  • I didn’t personally experience any positive effects from using it, but I do not think that was related to the quality, just the content itself

• by reviewabit

I had been hearing so much in the news about red wine being good for the heart and even extending life span, I decided to add it to my antioxidant arsenal. I tried by first actually buying and trying to drink a glass at night. This didn’t last long, as I really do not care for wine and found myself having to force it down, often accompanied by a case of heartburn after wards. I gave the rest of the bottle away and went to a supplement form.

I chose the Nature’s Bounty because it was on sale at a good price– and I got a free bottle of another supplement with the purchase. I had used the brand before and it was adequate. This was a 200 mg dose, so I would be

consuming far more of the resveratrol this way than I was with trying to drink the red wine itself.

Other than the capsules sticking to the roof of my mouth every time I went to take one, I had no problems in the first couple of weeks. Sometime after that, my stomach started becoming sensitive to the product for some unknown reason. I thought it was something else, since I had several weeks without any problems, so I eliminated other things until there was nothing left to eliminate but the red wine product.

When I stopped taking it, the stomach burning went away. I decided to do what I had tried with some other supplements that irritated my stomach. I took it in cycles.

I would take it nightly for a week, then stop ...

• for a week, alternating this pattern. This seemed to help. I was ok with taking it then, but it came to my attention that all of the studies done on resveratrol were done on mice, not humans, and there seemed to be some controversy, because the amounts that were given to the mice would amount to hundreds of times more than what the regular human dose was.

I got a little skeptical after that and kind of wrote it off as another fad. I think there probably are some good effects from the product, but it would probably take a lifetime of consuming it to get them. I decided then that I would stick to the antioxidants that were more powerful in human sized doses, and leave the resveratrol to the rodent population to enjoy.

I have since seen the ingredient pop up in various multi-supplement preparations, and I have taken it with those without a problem. I don’t think it does any harm, at least I have not heard anyone say that it does, outside of the common gastric issues it can cause, but that is true of so many supplements it’s not worth debating. I wouldn’t really recommend this product unless there turns out to be more convincing evidence for it.

As far as the brand, it’s as good as any other, I am quite sure. I didn’t personally experience any positive effects from using it, but I do not think that was related to the quality, just the content itself. This is one of those “iffy” substances that some people will inevitably support, and others will brush off as hogwash.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3418011392130431/k2311a0118/1.18.11