Swarovski Happy Birthday
  • I believe this Swarovski cake figurine was a gift that my brother gave me, because I asked for it
  • That's one of the things I like about both of those companies
  • I love miniature versions of things that you would never expect to see in miniature form, like mini teapots
  • The back end of the cake has an interesting two-facet design that continues all the way around the cake, which makes the light bounce off of it in an intriguing way as you move the piece from left to right
  • I think it would also be a nice gift for a mother whose child is turning one year old, since there is a single candle on the cake

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I believe this Swarovski cake figurine was a gift that my brother gave me, because I asked for it. But that was quite a few years ago, so I’m sure that it was less expensive than it is now. On the Swarovski website, it says that this piece costs $44. Swarovski and Crystal World (another one of my favorite crystal companies) both create a wide variety of cute, whimsical figurines. That’s one of the things I like about both of those companies. Most people probably wouldn’t care to buy a crystal figurine of a mini birthday cake, unless they work in a bakery or have a sweet tooth.

This little cake measures one and a quarter inches by one inch. I love miniature versions of things that you would never

expect to see in miniature form, like mini teapots. So I love when crystal manufacturers create tiny pieces like this one. I guess you could say that this is the kind of piece you would expect to see in a dollhouse. I wouldn’t really know about that, because I never had a dollhouse when I was a little kid. I just like these kinds of petite pieces simply because they are sweet and adorable, and I do happen to have a sweet tooth. So this is a mouthwatering crystal piece for me.

This cake is made of colorless crystal, and it is decorated with eight red crystal dots that are spread out equally all around the cake. The cake rests atop a fancy silver plate that has a graceful scalloped ...

• edging, and that lovely scallop design continues all the way around the plate. In the center of the plate is a candle that is made out of frosted red crystal. The candle is lit, and the little flame on top of it is made of colorless crystal that does not have any facets. The back end of the cake has an interesting two-facet design that continues all the way around the cake, which makes the light bounce off of it in an intriguing way as you move the piece from left to right.

I like the idea of frosted red crystal, because it’s not something that I see everywhere. Perhaps Swarovski used frosted crystal, because it is supposed to resemble a real wax candle. Wax candles do have a frosted

texture. The only feature of this cake figurine that I am disappointed about is the flame on the candle. I wish that Swarovski had created the candle in yellow crystal so that it would look like a real flame. Also, it would have added an extra color to the figurine. It just would have been a flash of another color, but it would have been enough to provide us with a little more interest in the piece.

But that is a minor complaint. I think this is a charming little figurine, and it would make a great gift for someone who just can’t resist sweets. I think it would also be a nice gift for a mother whose child is turning one year old, since there is a single candle on the cake.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4618011391590331/k2311a0118/1.18.11