Swarovski Crystal Moments Violet
  • I thought the violet figurine was a welcome addition to Swarovski's petite flower figurines
  • I think it was meant to be a cross between purple and blue
  • I have noticed that they use the checkerboard faceting with many of their pieces, and it always makes the piece look beautiful and elegant because of the way the light ripples across the piece
  • Unfortunately, though, it is not available at the moment

• by Lisa Pellegrini

It is always sad to see Swarovski retire a gorgeous crystal figurine, especially when it is a piece that hasn’t even been on the market very long. That was the case with this little violet figurine. When I heard it was being retired, I made sure I got to my local Swarovski store before they sold out of it. And I was sad and puzzled that they were discontinuing this piece when it was only about a year old, as far as I can remember. I am assuming that this is supposed to be an African violet, but Swarovski simply calls it a violet.

I thought the violet figurine was a welcome addition to Swarovski’s petite flower figurines. They created a rose figurine, a

sunflower, daisy, and tulip. None of those flowers were in purple crystal, so it was exciting to see Swarovski create this violet figurine in a very unusual color that they called tanzanite (just like the gemstone). I think it was meant to be a cross between purple and blue. I had never seen Swarovski do anything like that before, and it was a good color for this piece. They could have also created the violet in a rich, jewel-tone purple that would have been similar to amethyst. I have never seen Swarovski create any pieces in that color either. But the tanzanite they chose is very unique, because it really is a heavenly combination of purple and blue. It does not jump out ...

• at you. It is somewhat soft, and you can almost get lost in the beauty of the color.

This violet figurine measures almost two inches by about one inch. It is a very simple piece. It’s just a single violet with five petals, and it is sitting in a colorless crystal flower pot. A green crystal leaf juts out from either side of the metal stem. The crystal violet is faceted in a checkerboard style, which seems to be a popular faceting method for Swarovski. I have noticed that they use the checkerboard faceting with many of their pieces, and it always makes the piece look beautiful and elegant because of the way the light ripples across the piece.

If you like African violets, then

you will admire this piece, especially for the unique color. I used to own African violets myself, so naturally I am drawn to a piece like this one. But that’s not really why I bought it. I just thought it was pretty, and I liked the violet color. I would like to see Swarovski create more pieces with that tanzanite color. It would be nice to see more purple Swarovski figurines in the future.

I located a website called “maryannsgiftshop.stores.yahoo.net,” and it lists this violet figurine at $46.95, and a picture is included with the listing. Unfortunately, though, it is not available at the moment. I don’t know whether they will be getting more stock in, but you can always check back to see.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4618011391500331/k2311a0118/1.18.11