Crystal World Small Apple
  • I bought this crystal apple about twenty years ago, and it is still available for purchase on the Crystal World website
  • And what is even more amazing is that the price has not gone up that much in twenty years
  • It costs $29 now, and I think I paid about $25 back then
  • I think that is the most interesting feature in this piece
  • As I said before, I don't think it is a perfect representation of an apple

• by Lisa Pellegrini

I bought this crystal apple about twenty years ago, and it is still available for purchase on the Crystal World website! Isn’t that amazing? And what is even more amazing is that the price has not gone up that much in twenty years. It costs $29 now, and I think I paid about $25 back then. Crystal World has not changed the design at all. It is the same exact apple as the one I bought. I think that is incredible.

This petite apple is about an inch and a half tall, and it is made entirely of colorless crystal. It is shaped like a globe and is multi-faceted all the way around. A heart-shaped leaf protrudes from the apple’s stem. I think that is the most interesting feature in this piece.

(Although now that I have taken a good look at some of Crystal World’s other figurines, I have noticed that some of their other pieces feature heart-shaped leaves, too.)

I am a little disappointed that the designers of this apple didn’t use green crystal to create the leaf in order to make it stand out from the colorless apple. Or it would have been beautiful if they had created the apple in red crystal, the leaf in green crystal, and kept the stem colorless. Oh, well, it is still a pretty piece. The colorless crystal makes the light reflection off of the apple look similar to the light reflection off of a disco ball, as you move the apple from left to right.

The only other thing I am somewhat disappointed about is ...

• that the apple is perfectly round, and most apples are not shaped exactly like that. They curve inward around the area that is surrounding the stem, and then they narrow a little as they approach the base. It would have been interesting to see how the apple would have looked if Crystal World had designed it to look more like the shape of a real apple.

At this point, you may be wondering why I bought this apple, considering the complaints I’m making about it. Well, the answer is simple. I bought it because it is cute! And if I recall correctly, this is the very first crystal figurine that I ever purchased. So at the time, I had not seen any other crystal apples on the market to compare this one

to. I was also fascinated with the way the light reflected off of all those facets that continued all the way around the apple. The heart-shaped leaf caught my eye, too, and I thought that was a sweet addition to the piece and out of the ordinary. After all, most leaves are not actually heart-shaped.

I don’t think this is a piece that is strictly meant for teachers or residents of New York City. As long as you like apples or even the general shape of apples, then I think you will like this piece. As I said before, I don’t think it is a perfect representation of an apple. But it is a charming little figurine, and the numerous facets throughout it make it a lovely crystal piece to display in a curio cabinet.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4618011391470331/k2311a0118/1.18.11