Tarte Natural Cheek Stain in True Love  » Cosmetics  »
  • I know Tarte’s cheek stains as a powerhouse of blush shades but I’ve never used one until recently
  • I tend to be snobbish at putting cheek tints because I think of it as a sloth’s inexpert method to apply blush
  • I like to sweep the pigments farther back the apples of the cheeks
  • If applied thinly, I love how it gives me a bright blushing shade for my day makeup, just a touch of lipstick, nothing very garish on the lips, and I’m done
  • If cheek stains are your thing, I recommend Tarte and their blushes

• by jhunie

I know Tarte’s cheek stains as a powerhouse of blush shades but I’ve never used one until recently. A colleague received a Tarte set of 3 mini cheek stains in various shades and I was given this shade called True Love. Tarte is an organic brand of cosmetics with products lasting within a definite shelf life. She didn’t use this shade as much as the others while worrying about it going to waste. It was my first shot at trying Tarte blushes. I haven’t used a cheek stain in a long time. I tend to be snobbish at putting cheek tints because I think of it as a sloth’s inexpert method to apply blush. With my meticulous grooming, I do a lot of contouring for my cheeks, but if a product has great quality, I won’t hold myself back from reverting to a simplified way to do it.

I see the logic why plenty others like this product. The texture is something new to me. The blush stain comes in gel form and sets like fluid lip and cheek

tints. It delivers a very thin coverage with a tap. Cheek tints are mostly concentrated and sink into the skin so fast, you’d be catching up before it dries into an indelible mark on your face. This stain goes similar to sheer moisturizers, which might antagonize the matte-ness of foundation. Its superior quality lies upon the texture itself because it spreads on and on, you can really thin out the blush until it disappears with just the bare glow of it left. It’s like gel sanitizer when the stick gets warmed up so it needs a cool place for storage. I don’t see shimmers in the blush stain, but at times it gives a frosted glaze, especially if I wear it at night. Maybe that’s the result of my mineral foundation illuminating from the lights.

I went through trials upon brewing my own technique to apply the cheek stain. I’m not comfortable of any manual contact to my face as I rather do it with brushes. I was thinking of integrating my own methods – from what I ...

• know, which leads me to using my favorite brushes. I tap the tarte stick on both cheeks first then follow with a slanted blush brush. I like to sweep the pigments farther back the apples of the cheeks. Since it’s a semi-fluid formula, a flatter brush may be suitable and make sure the bristles are really soft and less firm. The gel is actually easy to brush and diffuse. I have a slight dislike to the tarte blush though; it feels clammy at first so I blot just a bit of it. My sweaty pores need an extra layer of powder, so I top everything off with a finishing loose powder.

True love is a rosy red cheek color. The tint is well balanced in that it doesn’t turn utterly purple or peach. It looked like a red balmy material inside the stick, which I feared too romantic a color for my taste, the time I opened it. If applied thinly, I love how it gives me a bright blushing shade for my day makeup, just a touch of lipstick,

nothing very garish on the lips, and I’m done. But I believe this cheek stain and its rich red shade belongs to the night. Maybe I’m taking this shade, appropriately named True Love, quite literally. But the mushy name captured it. The cheek stain seems to last a long time too. Like mousse and cream blushes however, it can look shiny after some time.

You lift the stick to dispense an amount. I deem it’s better to buy the mini sets if you want to check out most of the shade selections. I reckon it costs 30 dollars or less. The full sizes come in really stubby push up sticks and I imagine a single tap on the cheek would be all it takes to apply it considering the practically sponge-like size. And the price is the same. This is a nice cheek stain if you don’t want to get too elaborate with your blushing flourishes. But it’s not enough unfortunately to curb my love for contouring blushes. If cheek stains are your thing, I recommend Tarte and their blushes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3118011391450331/k2311a0118/1.18.11