Swarovski Walter the Whale
  • I believe this was a limited-edition figurine, so I purchased it as soon as I had the chance
  • I am an animal lover, and I have enjoyed collecting Swarovski animal figurines for about ten years now
  • And I like sea creatures like dolphins and sea horses, so this whale figurine was a nice addition to my collection
  • I think Walter would have also looked good with black eyes, but maybe they wouldn't have shown up as well against his deep blue body
  • It's amazing that Swarovski was able to create Walter in that way

• by Lisa Pellegrini

It’s nice that Swarovski gives names to some of their little crystal animal figurines. I believe this was a limited-edition figurine, so I purchased it as soon as I had the chance. I am an animal lover, and I have enjoyed collecting Swarovski animal figurines for about ten years now. I must have about thirty of them and maybe even more. And I like sea creatures like dolphins and sea horses, so this whale figurine was a nice addition to my collection.

Walter measures one inch by one and a half inches, and he is made of a rich blue crystal that Swarovski calls sapphire. His eyes

are clear and colorless crystal, and they are smooth (with no facets). What I like about Walter is that he is a plump little whale. So even though he is small, he has some substance and “meat” to him, so he shows up nicely on display.

His eyes are a decent size, too, so you can really see them well. They are not tiny specks. I think Walter would have also looked good with black eyes, but maybe they wouldn’t have shown up as well against his deep blue body. I like the way his tail points upward. It makes him look like a happy and optimistic ...

• whale who is charging forth in the ocean without a care in the world except to find food.

But here is the thing I like best about Walter. When you sit him down, if you gently tap his tail sideways, he will rock! He rocks from side to side. So he is like a rocking horse or the famous “Weebles that wobble, but they don’t fall down.” It’s amazing that Swarovski was able to create Walter in that way. It would be fun to see them do that with more of their animal figurines, like maybe penguins or chickens. Anyway, that rocking feature is what really makes

Walter unique. If he didn’t have that characteristic, then he would be more like your average, ordinary whale.

I’m not sure whether any websites have Walter in stock. But I did find a site called “maryannsgiftshop.stores.yahoo.net” that shows a photo of Walter and a price of $29.95. If they don’t have any pieces in stock, then just keep checking back. Even if you are not able to purchase Walter, I think you will still enjoy seeing what he looks like. I am glad that I was able to acquire this piece while my local Swarovski store still carried it, because it is one of my favorite marine pieces.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4618011391330331/k2311a0118/1.18.11