Kroger Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
  • Due to health reasons, I only buy peanut butter that is “natural”, meaning the only ingredients are roasted peanuts and either salt or salt and sugar (and possibly a little extra oil), so that I can avoid the trans fats in hydrogenated oils that are often included in other peanut butters
  • Just like other brands of natural peanut butter, when I opened it I found that the oil had floated to the top, requiring me to stir it to blend it in with the nut butter beneath
  • What I like about this peanut butter is it’s just roasted peanuts and salt, and the peanutty taste isn’t muted by lots of other additives
  • I think I finally see why people are less likely to purchase natural peanut butter if this has been their own experience
  • However, there are varieties that do make natural peanut butter that don’t have this consistency problem

• by sarahanne

Due to health reasons, I only buy peanut butter that is “natural”, meaning the only ingredients are roasted peanuts and either salt or salt and sugar (and possibly a little extra oil), so that I can avoid the trans fats in hydrogenated oils that are often included in other peanut butters. I buy this peanut butter even though it can be a little more expensive than others. I find that it tastes just as good if not better.

I was grateful to find the Kroger store brand peanut butter, because the store

brand natural varieties are usually cheaper than the other national brands (which can sometimes run over $3.00). Just like other brands of natural peanut butter, when I opened it I found that the oil had floated to the top, requiring me to stir it to blend it in with the nut butter beneath. This peanut butter comes in a 16 oz. plastic jar and provides 190 calories per each 2-tablespoon serving. The total fat is 16 grams per serving, with 2 grams of saturated fat, 4 grams of polyunsaturated fat, and 8 ...

• grams of monounsaturated fat. What I like about this peanut butter is it’s just roasted peanuts and salt, and the peanutty taste isn’t muted by lots of other additives.

However, there are things I did not like about it. One of the things that I found with this peanut butter was that even though I stirred the peanut butter well, at the top it was a little bit too oily and liquidy, and the bottom of it was too gritty and dry, because I guess the distribution of oil was simply not

equal. I think I finally see why people are less likely to purchase natural peanut butter if this has been their own experience. Those who want a smooth, easily spreadable peanut butter from the top of the jar to the bottom are just more likely to get that from the varieties that use hydrogenated oils. However, there are varieties that do make natural peanut butter that don’t have this consistency problem. So while I appreciate that Kroger makes this peanut butter for we health-conscious shoppers, I don’t think I’ll be purchasing this particular brand again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2718011389931231/k2311a0118/1.18.11