Mission City Downtown in Mission, Canada  » Travel  »
Begins at 32998 First Avenue, Mission, British Columbia
  • As a result, I got a lot of exercise although I think I still gained at least five pounds from all the holiday eating despite the fact that I tried to suppress it
  • I would recommend a visit to Mission City for people who find small towns appealing

• by RichieMogwai

I stayed at the Mission City downtown area for almost a month, from December 9, 2010 to January 7, 2011. However, I still cannot believe that I had been there that long. Time seemed to pass by rather quickly because of the many things I needed to do. I even spent my Christmas and New Year holidays here, the highlight of which was a free movie showing at The Elks Hall, one of Mission’s popular spots. It was my first time to come to this city, but it was not long before I fell in love with it.

What is so lovable about Mission City downtown? Well first, I have never seen such wonderful people. Everyone I meet across the street smiles or says hello, and there are no beggars

on the streets which I cannot say for Vancouver. If you want small town appeal and enjoy great conversation, Mission City is the place to go. It is not only a tightly knit community; it is also a small area, only about a kilometer long. Downtown begins at First Avenue and once it changes into Lougheed Highway, you know that you have left the downtown core.

Used bookstore shops, antique markets, modern shops, restaurants, and bars mark the kilometer-long downtown. These establishments look simple and seem to have been here for many years. Downtown here rather looks like a strip mall and there is not many second floors to speak of save a few. At the heart of it is the old post office building which oddly enough has a ...

• basement or some sort of an underground floor. I wonder what purpose it served during the early pioneer days.

To come to Mission City from Vancouver, I had to take an hour and half worth of train ride. From here, there is very little need for a bus because everything is close by. As a result, I got a lot of exercise although I think I still gained at least five pounds from all the holiday eating despite the fact that I tried to suppress it.

I would recommend a visit to Mission City for people who find small towns appealing. A big bonus is the view of the mountain range, where some mountains stay green while the rest are snow capped at this time of the year. Since the city

is situation in the valley, it offers a unique view of the mountains, which I could never get from Vancouver. Most of the time while I was here it rained or the sky was cloudy, but when the sun came out or during sunny days, the mountains look so spectacular as a backdrop to the valley. I had also seen some spectacular sunsets where I could not see the sun, yet it painted widespread red hue spots on the west as it bid adieu. I do not know if this spectacle is rare to Mission City, or if this only happens during the winter period. Nevertheless, such natural display was awesome, relished by even the residents themselves. It is one view I will forever cherish from my maiden voyage to this city.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3818011389571231/k2311a0118/1.18.11