Law & Order SVU TV Episode: Mask  » TV  »
2.5
  • I think I loved the fact that the therapist that runs the clinic is a former sex addict himself
  • You also have an interesting debate about doctor patient privelege weighed against testifying so the doctor's daughter's attacker can be arrested
  • This show is much better when it focuses on the SVU squad as a team and, unfortunately, that hasn't been the case a few times this season
  • I didn't hate watching it but I don't think it is going to be an episode that is very memorable

• by Review Vigilante

Synopsis: Elliott (Christopher Meloni) goes undercover at a rehab clinic for sex addicts after a serial rapist known for wearing a distinctive mask attacks the daughter of the therapist that is running the group therapy. What I liked about the episode: I think I loved the fact that the therapist that runs the clinic is a former sex addict himself; just because it brings up a whole range of emotions and questions about whether it really is a disease that rapists can use as an

excuse; especially since the doctor believes he raped his own daughter when she was 16 (though we do learn something different later).

You also have an interesting debate about doctor patient privelege weighed against testifying so the doctor’s daughter’s attacker can be arrested.

I loved the compromise that was eventually made.

I also love how the episode throws in a successful red herring about who the bad guy is.

Usually, I’m good at spotting an attempt to mislead me.

But, this time, I really did ...

• fall for it and thought the guy they were targeting really was the guy behind the rapes.

I did, however, guess earlier at the real rapist.

What I didn’t like about this episode: My biggest complaint about this episode is the focus on Elliott.

This show is much better when it focuses on the SVU squad as a team and, unfortunately, that hasn’t been the case a few times this season.

This is especially true when it comes to Olivia, who once again is absent

for part of the episode (and I don’t even remember seeing Munch at any given time).

Oh, and we are now three or four episodes removed from her having her “son” taken away from Olivia and there has been no mention of that.

Why?

My Final Opinion: There were some things that were likeable about this episode.

But, overall, I think it wasn’t as good as so many others from the series.

I didn’t hate watching it but I don’t think it is going to be an episode that is very memorable.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1016011388810931/k2311a0116/1.16.11