Roku XD/S
  • I am a perfectionist, so when picking a device, I must be sure that I am choosing the best possible option
  • Furthermore, the ability to play music on Pandora, search interesting artsy shorts on Vimeo, and a way to catch all the MLB games with an MLB
  • There are three different models, each allowing you a different experience, yet all providing you with a great basic service at different prices, the lowest starting at only $50, which is half of what Apple is charging for their Apple TV
  • Also, some people might have a problem with not having access to YouTube, which is a Google owned website and therefore is only available on Google TV as of now, however I do not think this is too big of a detraction

• by Agoobacha

There are many ways available for us to get our Internet on our TV. Services such as Netflix and Hulu have made it so that we cannot get along unless we have a gadget that allows us to stream web content into our living rooms from a device larger than a computer screen. And so there are countless devices created to supply this demand, including Apple TV, a series of Roku players, and Google TV. Which one is the best? It’s difficult to say because each of them has drawbacks and pluses. My personal pick was the Roky XD/S, which is the highest quality, most expensive of the Roku

devices.

I am a perfectionist, so when picking a device, I must be sure that I am choosing the best possible option. Roku XD/S provides me with the highest level of HD viewing available, which, for $20 is well worth it. My choice of Roku instead of Apple TV, for example, has to do with the variety of content available. All of these TV/Web streaming devices are capable of streaming Netflix and each one also offers the option of somehow “renting” a wider selection of movies, however the Roku also has the capability to put hundreds of channels of entertainment onto your television whereas Apple only allows for Netflix and ...

• iTunes. I was also happy that Hulu was available on Roku, which it is not on other similar products. Furthermore, the ability to play music on Pandora, search interesting artsy shorts on Vimeo, and a way to catch all the MLB games with an MLB.com subscription further elevates Roku above the rest.

I am also a supporter of Roku because it offers its customers some options in pricing. There are three different models, each allowing you a different experience, yet all providing you with a great basic service at different prices, the lowest starting at only $50, which is half of what Apple is charging for their Apple TV.

The only downside to the Roku versus its competitors is the design of the user interface. It is not nearly as smooth or clean cut as Apple or Google TV. The menus are a bit clunky and at times certain features disappear off the edges of the screen. Also, some people might have a problem with not having access to YouTube, which is a Google owned website and therefore is only available on Google TV as of now, however I do not think this is too big of a detraction. YouTube is something that can certainly be left to the confines of a computer as far as I am concerned.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1616011388630931/k2311a0116/1.16.11