Grand Palace, Bangkok  » Travel  »
Na Phra Lan Rd, Bangkok, Thailand
  • Unfortunately, it was closed that morning as there was a kind of state ceremony
  • There were three items which were very interesting in my opinion

• by Pusaka

Hearing the word ‘palace’ made me want to see it. Moreover this is an old palace of the kings of Thailand, the Grand Palace. Therefore on our first day in Bangkok, we (my wife, I and our two children) planed to visit the Grand Palace. Unfortunately, it was closed that morning as there was a kind of state ceremony. The Grand Palace would be open later that day. We went back there at about midday.

The admission fee was 300 baht per person. The ticket was also valid for visiting Vimanmek Mansion that we did on our third day in Bangkok. As

Grand Palace area is very large, it will be quite tiring to walk down within it. However (unlike in Bang Pa-in), there were no vehicles that could be rented within the premises, so we all had to walk everywhere. There were three items which were very interesting in my opinion. They were a pair of fanged giant statues carrying sword (as also found in the arrivals area of Suvarnabhumi airport), gold cedi and Emerald Buddha Temple or Wat Phra Kaeo as the Thai name it. The three of them are within the same section of the premises, so they are very ...

• close one to another.

To enter the Emerald Buddha Temple there are several rules that must be met, i.e. wearing decent clothes, removing footwear, not speaking (loudly), not pointing your feet to the altar, and (very unfortunate) not taking pictures (even when not using the flash) inside the temple. The statue is very small and I did not know where it was, so I realize that I had lost the opportunity to directly see the emerald Buddha. However I wonder how on the internet it is so easy to find the pictures of emerald Buddha as it is prohibited from taking pictures

inside the temple.

The other sections of the Grand Palace did not look quite attractive to me. So even though it is very broad, we spent only less than two hours to look around within this palace complex. Do not forget to buy a booklet about the Grand Palace which may be useful as reference materials for those who are interested in it.

We got out at about 2 pm. Therefore, we hurried on foot to a small restaurant (near the corner between Na Phra Lan Rd and Maha Rat Rd) that only provides three tables with one type of cuisine: Thai roast pork.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3816011388610931/k2311a0116/1.16.11