Garmin-Asus Nuvifone G60: A GPS-centric mobile phone  » Phones  »
  • Ever since I could remember, I enjoyed exploring new places and would actually feel giddy at the thought of taking a trip
  • This is most useful to me since I like walking around in the city, and I find discovering new places part of my daily adventure
  • Garmin betrays its lack of experience in the mobile phones with G60
  • And although it's a touchscreen and so technically, when typing an SMS, you can touch the screen where you want to edit to avoid erasing the entire message and re-typing, this phone does not recognize this function
  • If you are primarily wired to your phone, then I suggest you hold back

• by LaPinay

I have always had an adventurous spirit. Ever since I could remember, I enjoyed exploring new places and would actually feel giddy at the thought of taking a trip. Before the era of mobile phones, a paper map and a 2-way radio was essential because my grandfather would scream at me for being out completely out of touch when I went climbing. Then came the era of GPS which was a big help to the geographically-challenged. My favorite GPS were those manufactured by Garmin as I find their coordinates to be more precise. Thus, I was intrigued by the collaboration of Garmin and Asus for the birth of Garmin-ASUS nuvifone G60.

The G60 is basically the marriage of a cellphone and a GPS, but heavily tilted in favor of

the GPS. As I expected of Garmin, the GPS function was this phone’s most reliable function. It easily powers up and will display your current location as well as the neighborhood you are currently located. This is a big help in the city because you can easily get from Point A to Point B, although of course traffic is not factored into the calculation. In this third world country, the straight line is usually not the fastest way to get to your destination. Although I am familiar with Garmin GPS, with the G60, even the most technically-challenged will be able to figure out how to use it because of its idiot-friendly user interface. The screen, at 3.55”, is sufficient to show clearly the roads and places, plus its ...

• anti-glare display allows the user to view it under the direct glare of the sun. This is most useful to me since I like walking around in the city, and I find discovering new places part of my daily adventure. GPS signal is different from a cellphone signal, and since the G60 is basically a GPS, it is constantly reaching out for a signal, a practice that uses up a lot of juice. If you plan to use this in climbing, you might want to pack some extra batteries in case you don’t get to a socket soon enough to get it juiced up.

However, the phone function leaves a lot to be desired. Garmin betrays its lack of experience in the mobile phones with G60. For example, for

some inexplicable reason, there is no button to end a call. And although it’s a touchscreen and so technically, when typing an SMS, you can touch the screen where you want to edit to avoid erasing the entire message and re-typing, this phone does not recognize this function. There is also no function to exchange business cards. And although it has a 3 megapixel camera on board, the quality of the images is so-so. It does have wi-fi and bluetooth capabilities.

Should you get one? If you are primarily wired to your phone, then I suggest you hold back. But if you are like me addicted to exploring the city and yet still want to remain connected (and not mind some of the phone’s minor idiosyncrasies), certainly, go ahead and get one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3716011388600931/k2311a0116/1.16.11