Justice Secretary Leila de Lima  » Local news  »
  • After being disappointed with the appointments of the newly-elected president, my faith was restored to the appointment of Atty
  • I first noticed her when she took up the cause of those who complained against police brutality
  • When she was interviewed, she did not immediately defend the victims, but she put the problem in perspective, promised swift action, and which her Office did afterwards

• by LaPinay

There is one breath of fresh air in Philippine politics these days. After being disappointed with the appointments of the newly-elected president, my faith was restored to the appointment of Atty. Leila de Lima, former head of the Commission on Human Rights, as the Secretary of Justice.

Sec. De Lima was a former election lawyer who came to public limelight when she made noises as the Chairman of the Commission on Human Rights.

brutality. When she was interviewed, she did not immediately defend the victims, but she put the problem in perspective, promised swift action, and which her Office did afterwards.

Politicians usually just side with those claiming to be victims in front of the cameras, but not Sec. De Lima.

She calls it as it is, and does not stop from there. Because of her outstanding performance, she garnered several excellence awards from various organizations.

When she was appointed as Justice Secretary my first reaction was Pres. Aquino finally got ...

• it right.

Of course the fact that the former Acting Justice Secretary made a big political mistake when he issued a resolution virtually acquitting one of the Ampatuans made her appointment even stand out. I remembered that she was very active in the investigation of one of the most heinous crimes of the first decade of the 21st century, and I felt that if anyone can move this case along, it was this fighter.

And I was right – several victims of the Ampatuan massacre publicly acknowledged her

help. She pushed for a speedy trial of the Ampatuan case.

As it is, considering the number of accused and victims, we would be lucky to see a decision in our lifetime. Her involvement in the investigation of the massacre of Hongkong nationals in Quirino Grandstand has given the investigative body some amount of credibility.

My faith in this government was restored by one courageous and outspoken politician, and I hope she continues this way so that finally, I can truly feel that there is justice in the Philippines.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3614011387370631/k2311a0114/1.14.11