American New Backpackers Hostel in Vancouver, Canada  » Hotels  »
347 West Pender Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, telephone number 1-604-688-0112
  • I would only recommend it if like me, you know the city of Vancouver well
  • Take note, American New Backpackers Hostel will charge a fee of $3 if you use your credit card, so a cash transaction would be the best way to go

• by RichieMogwai

I have to give it to Vancouver. Of all the cities I have been to, I do not think any other city has a bigger concentration of hostels, or affordable temporary accommodations for that matter. Being a writer, I take my work with me and being able to travel is not only a necessity. It is also needed to boost my creativity or those so-called writing juices. In November 2010, I had to spend three days in Vancouver for business and since I was on a budget, I naturally thought staying in a hostel would be a perfect idea.

After looking at all the hostel listings, it appealed to me that I could stay in Vancouver for just $10 a day. This was just incredible,

considering that the next cheapest hostel is $22, followed by $27 on a daily basis. Hence imagine my surprise when American New Backpackers Hostel booked me for three days at only $30 plus tax. Of course, there was a $10 key deposit but this was refundable. Had I needed to stay much longer than three days, I would have paid for the weekly rate, which was only $60 plus tax of course.

For a little background information, hostel accommodation is different from hotels or motels in the sense that one can have one room for oneself and pay a higher rate. The more common use for hostels is the dorm-type accommodation where four or six people share a small room. As one would ...

• expect in this situation, the bathroom and toilet are also shared. For someone who is on a budget, an arrangement like this would certainly be heaven sent.

American New Backpackers Hostel cannot compare in terms of service and accommodation with Hostelling International’s facilities. For one, the location of this hostel, which is at Homer Street and Pender Street, is a depressed area. Not far from this intersection is Hastings Street, which even the United Nations considers the blight of Vancouver when it comes to homelessness and drug use. Therefore, I have to warn people in advance, if you want to feel safe, American New Backpackers Hostel is not the place to go. I would only recommend it if like me, you know the city of Vancouver well.

While this hostel offers all the amenities, which the HI group offers, the location, plus the quality of the amenities are many notches down.

This hostel is clean by my standards, but it could easily get so crowded with lots of people constantly moving in and out. I have to give it to this hostel though because unbelievably, it has not raised its rates for the past 25 years. Take note, American New Backpackers Hostel will charge a fee of $3 if you use your credit card, so a cash transaction would be the best way to go. For the bargain hunter this hostel is a great alternative to the other hostels around, but if you are looking for comfort and quiet, I would not recommend that you come here.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 214011386920631/k2311a0114/1.14.11