Bangkok, Thailand  » Travel  »
  • When I decided to go to Nepal, I found out that there was no direct flights to Kathmandu from my country
  • The money changers just outside the airport have the best exchange rates, and the line to the taxi is organized and respected
  • I found one for US$10 a night with aircon, and near the mall
  • I rode their very efficient Skytrain and enjoyed the Bangkok skyline
  • My experience with them left an indelible mark and I promise to return to Bangkok for a longer vacation soon

• by LaPinay

When I decided to go to Nepal, I found out that there was no direct flights to Kathmandu from my country. With several countries as my choice as a stopover, I took the opportunity to stop by Bangkok, Thailand and spend several days there before heading to Nepal.

My initial impression of Thailand was one of amazement. I was truly amazed with the size of their airport. It was huge with more than a hundred gates. I had to walk a very long corridor before I could get to immigration. At the same time, Thai people are so friendly, none of that impatient look I get from other immigration officers from other countries. The money changers just outside

the airport have the best exchange rates, and the line to the taxi is organized and respected. I also love Thai taxi drivers – they speak English, are courteous and never bargain for the fare. I was also amazed at the number of low budget hotels that were available. I found one for US$10 a night with aircon, and near the mall. The lady, although her English was not that fluent, was very hospitable. After depositing my bags, I immediately went out to explore Bangkok.

The streets of Bangkok maybe gridlocked with traffic, but it makes up with the fascinating vistas. As I said earlier, the taxi drivers are a tourist’s biggest help. I was fascinated with Wat ...

• Pho and the Golden Palace. I come from a largely Catholic country where Buddhist temples are very scarce. I admired the lying Buddha, but was repulsed by the smell of the tourists’ feet who went inside. The temple has a no-shoe policy and most of the tourists there had really smelly feet. The grounds were well-kept and the guides kind and smiling. I rode their very efficient Skytrain and enjoyed the Bangkok skyline. I strolled around Jatujak, their weekend market which was composed of about 8000 stalls. I was not too impressed with the bargains there because I could get it for less in my country. I did pick up some of their fruits like lanzones and
        durian which were really tasty. You need an adventurous palate when in Bangkok. Be sure to taste their Pad Thai. You’ll never look at Thai cuisine the same way after getting them from the source.

What I was most amazed was the efficiency of the Thai tourist police. On my way back to my hotel, my cab driver did not recognize my low-budget hostel and took me to the wrong one. When I could not articulate where it was, he stopped at a tourist police station who put their heads together and pointed us to the right one. My experience with them left an indelible mark and I promise to return to Bangkok for a longer vacation soon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3812011385960231/k2311a0112/1.12.11