Crystal World Treasure Chest
  • So of course it is ultra cute, and I love all of the details in this piece
  • I bought this at a gift shop called Ashley Avery Collectibles quite a few years ago in the mall near my apartment building
  • Unfortunately, the store folded up, so I don't know whether it moved to a different location or what happened to it
  • It's a shame that Crystal World discontinued this piece, because that means that visitors of their website won't get to see it, and I think a lot of people would have liked it

• by Lisa Pellegrini

This is a very unique piece, because it’s not every day that I see a crystal figurine of a treasure chest. And what’s more, it is petite! It’s only about an inch and a quarter in length and an inch and a half in height. So of course it is ultra cute, and I love all of the details in this piece. I bought this at a gift shop called Ashley Avery Collectibles quite a few years ago in the mall near my apartment building. Unfortunately, the store folded up, so I don’t know whether it moved to a different location or what happened to it.

In this piece, we have an open treasure chest that is made of clear crystal. Inside it are eleven “gems” in an assortment of

shapes and colors. We have a large, oval crystal that looks like a pink tourmaline gemstone. We have some small, round crystals that represent emeralds, rubies, and citrines. One diamond-shaped crystal looks like a sapphire, and there are a couple of globe-shaped crystals that are faceted like the strobe balls in discotheques. Those crystals are clear, but they reflect light in an aurora borealis fashion. A gold chain hangs slightly over the front of the chest. So there is a lot to admire in this piece, and you could really find yourself staring at it in awe every time you lay eyes on it.

This would make a good gift for anyone who likes deep-sea diving, pirate movies, or gemstones. It is just a very unusual and whimsical piece, and ...

• it’s a nice departure from what I normally see in crystal figurines. I usually see crystal flowers and animals, and they are gorgeous, too. But every once in a while, we all need a change from the norm.

Unfortunately, this Crystal World treasure chest is a retired piece, which simply means that the company is not making it anymore. But it is still available for purchase. Just google Crystal World Treasure Chest, and you will see a website called Crystal-Fox.com Gallery. If you enter that site, then it will take you to a screen that is called Crystal World Holiday Treasures. The treasure chest is the very last item on the page. They saved the best for last! It costs $60.

It’s a shame that Crystal World discontinued this piece,

because that means that visitors of their website won’t get to see it, and I think a lot of people would have liked it. There is a certain mystique about the idea that there may be buried treasure out there somewhere, and I think we are all fascinated by that thought, on some level.

I am glad that Crystal World created the treasure chest in clear crystal rather than brown crystal to represent wood. The figurine would have looked overdone with brown crystal in addition to all of the colored gems inside of the chest. That would have been color overkill. The clear crystal chest provides a necessary contrast to the colored gems, and I think the dangling gold chain is a great finishing touch. It’s like the icing on the cake.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4611011384870631/k2311a0111/1.11.11