The Dick Van Dyke Show (TV Show) - Where You Been, Fassbinder? (Episode)  » TV  »
  • I don't like how yet another potential love interest is brought into Sally's life only to disappear come the next episode without explanation
  • It's simply not a satisfying means of storytelling, in my opinion
  • That problem I have with the episode aside, I still enjoyed this episode
  • I thought it was touching how Sally's friends organized a surprise birthday party so that she wouldn't be alone on her birthday and Rose Marie gave a poignant performance as she was asking her friends to leave because she didn't feel much like partying as the man she thought was going to be her date ended up not being there for the reason she thought, but would later return and reveal that they both had misunderstood each other's words

• by CirclingCanvas

“Where You Been, Fassbinder?” is an episode of “The Dick Van Dyke Show”. I particularly enjoy episodes of “The Dick Van Dyke Show” that focus on Sally Rogers, portrayed by Rose Marie. Not only does the actress always deliver caliber performances, but I also like how her episodes tend to have more than just a comical edge to them. Usually, there’s a moment or two where the tone of the episode shifts and becomes a little serious and a bit sad, as something always seems to happen between Sally and her date. This episode follows the usual formula, to an extent, but it has

an ending that I don’t particularly care for.

I don’t like how yet another potential love interest is brought into Sally’s life only to disappear come the next episode without explanation. The obvious explanation is it didn’t work out between the two, but I personally don’t like episodes that start and tell a story but let the story finish “off screen”, leaving the audience to come up with their own explanation for what may have happened. It’s simply not a satisfying means of storytelling, in my opinion. That problem I have with the episode aside, I still enjoyed this episode. I thought it was touching ...

• how Sally’s friends organized a surprise birthday party so that she wouldn’t be alone on her birthday and Rose Marie gave a poignant performance as she was asking her friends to leave because she didn’t feel much like partying as the man she thought was going to be her date ended up not being there for the reason she thought, but would later return and reveal that they both had misunderstood each other’s words. The episode thus has a happy ending, but there’s no resolution to the story for Sally and her date, and that’s very unfortunate.

“Where You Been, Fassbinder?” is an episode of

“The Dick Van Dyke Show” that has many funny moments as well as a few sad scenes. Rose Marie as Sally Rogers delivers a very convincing performance of a woman that’s lonely and attempts to hide that loneliness from her friends by smiling and joking. I enjoyed the episode very much but once I realized that there was no follow up episode or even a line or two explaining what happened between Sally and her new date in a later episode, the episode ended up losing some of its appeal. I’m still going to rate it an “8″, but the episode suffers from lacking a resolution.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1011011384740631/k2311a0111/1.11.11