An Affair to Remember movie  » Movies  »
  • The two actors definitely have chemistry, and the acting is so subtle you do not feel them acting at all
  • I think this is the reason why a remake needed to be done
  • Perhaps he wanted to show the world that a great story needed to be retold in the best medium possible
  • I love the scripting, scene composition, even the deliver of the dialogues are peerless
  • The only problem is that black and white cannot compete with color movies in terms of impact, unless of course it was intentionally done that way like Schindler's List

• by RichieMogwai

No, Warren Beatty was not crazy in deciding to remake the film An Affair to Remember, I have to say he has attained a certain degree of success. Now it is time to examine the real deal for what it is worth. In the heyday of black and white motion pictures, An Affair to Remember is considered a gem. The cast alone is a crowd drawer already: Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant. I just loved the performance of Kerr here, as much as I loved her in The King and I. She is wonderful actress, so pure looking and with a luminous presence too. Not as much as Ingrid Bergman, but it will do.

The plot is

a tragedy. You find the man of your dreams and then something bad happens to you, you cannot even tell him about it. The two actors definitely have chemistry, and the acting is so subtle you do not feel them acting at all. It is like you are watching a real love story in front of you, not one that looks fake or contrived. But because it is made in black and white, to be honest, this, the original version does not affect me as much as the remake. Rather, its impact on me was more of a novelty, like watching the first nickelodeon film ever.

Even the music does not rouse my romantic spirit, as much as the ...

• Warren Beatty version, or maybe it was just too subtle for me. I do not know, when it comes to the part when it makes me cry, I just do not, which was quite odd, since even as I am a man, I was definitely touched by the new version. I must have even cried a bit. Is something wrong with me? Or maybe I just got so used to watching color films that black and white motion pictures just seem like listening to a movie, instead of watching it.

The medium is the message, or so says media educator Marshall McLuhan. I think this is the reason why a remake needed to be done. If Beatty

did not take a chance, we, the audience, probably would never see just how big a difference it makes to see the same story in real color. No wonder Beatty hardly altered the treatment, and stayed true to the original. Perhaps he wanted to show the world that a great story needed to be retold in the best medium possible.

Nevertheless, the movie is well done in the tradition of the great black and white motion pictures. I love the scripting, scene composition, even the deliver of the dialogues are peerless. The only problem is that black and white cannot compete with color movies in terms of impact, unless of course it was intentionally done that way like Schindler’s List.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1111011384380531/k2311a0111/1.11.11