Black & Decker SmartBrew Coffeemaker  » Housewares  »
  • When my old cofee maker died, I decided to do a bit of research to get the best bang for my buck
  • It also helps that the basket actually cost less

• by Karen Jacobs

Since I have more than an hour commute to work and must wake up at 4:00 AM, a fresh, hot cup of coffee is essential. When my old cofee maker died, I decided to do a bit of research to get the best bang for my buck.

I finally decided on the Black & Decker SmartBrew Coffeemaker.

I was looking for some basic features. First, the machine had to be easy to clean. As a bachelor, I don’t want to spend a lot of time cleaning appliances, and this unit is a breeze to clean. The old Mr. Coffee machine used those antiquated cone filters which can be a bit messy. The SmartBrew uses the basket-type filters which I now prefer to the paper cones. It also helps that the basket actually cost less.

Next, I needed a coffee maker with a good timer feature. This one has a state-of-the-art timer with a two hour shut-off. I have it set to stop brewing about fifteen minutes before my alarm clock sounds. The ...

• Black & Decker SmartBrew Coffeemaker
      handy warmer keeps my coffee fresh and hot.

I have two minor compaints. When I made my first cup of coffee, the pot did overlow. I called the customer service department and they told me to remove the rubber stopper which was put in place for the sneak-a-cup feature. It popped out easily and I can replace it

at any time.

The second complaint is based on asthetics. I like sleek looking countertop appliances. The plastic used for the coffee maker’s housing looks a bit cheap. My other machine was better looking, but at this price point, I can’t afford to be too picky. The most important feature of all…the Black & Decker SmartBrew makes an excellent cup of coffee.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5311011384330531/k2311a0111/1.11.11