The Sharper Image Literati Digital Reader  » Electronics  »
  • When I saw the Sharper Image Literati Digital Reader for $49 on sale at Best Buy, I thought to myself now is as good a time as ever to try one

• by ClickMyReview

Our plan this year was not to buy a lot of expensive gifts for each other for Christmas and wait until after the holiday rush to pick off the electronic gadgets we wanted to buy. One of the things I was toying with buying for a while now was an eReader. I’ve been sitting on the fence because I’m still not convinced this is the way to read a book – but, it is the biggest craze right now, so as long as I could get one for a cheap enough price, I was willing

to try one.

When I saw the Sharper Image Literati Digital Reader for $49 on sale at Best Buy, I thought to myself now is as good a time as ever to try one. Besides, this eReader has a color display and most of the other color models can run up into $200 or more for what I looked at. So, it was time to take the plunge.

So far, I find that it takes a little time to figure out how to use it – but, I’m getting there. Also, the battery doesn’t seem to ...

• last very long – which is quite annoying (but, then again, I have the same complaint with my laptop when I go WiFi).

It seems to have enough bells and whistles for me for a simple eReader – but (and this is a really big but) – it doesn’t read all the popular book formats. You can’t just jump on Amazon and buy your favorite title and, it seems more expensive to boot! Now, if I spend more every time I buy a digital book for the Literati, then I’ll soon spend all the money I

saved on getting a $49 eReader. Not so good.

The last thing – and this would probably be my complaint for all eReaders – if I read on this too long, my eyes get strained and very tired. I don’t want to say it’s the Literati – because that just might be me – I already wear glasses.

So, would I recommend this? I’m not sure. I’m still trying to decide if I’m even going to keep it. But, for $49 – maybe it’s a good way for everyone to decide if eReaders are their thing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1611011384010431/k2311a0111/1.11.11