Lucas Radebe Retired South African Soccer Star  » Sport  »
  • That is just about the only experience I have had of Lucas Radebe at club level, but from what I have read about him and heard from the man himself, he is a true legend in the hearts of Leeds fans
  • It was interesting to hear him explain how he got the nickname of 'chief' as well amongst other things he discussed

• by alexd187

One of the greatest footballing exports to come out of the South African footballing world, Lucas Radebe is one of those genuine role models I have always looked up to, since my very early days of falling in love with the game of football, back around 1996, when he was one of the national heroes of the South African national football team, Bafana Bafana.

Although I am an aspiring footballer of a different kind, being an attacking player as opposed to Radebe’s defensive role, I could not help but admire the true greatness that presented itself in the form of Rhoo, as he is affectionately known locally. It was also great for me to watch, as a young boy, how a local player was held in such high regard, in one of

the biggest teams in England then, Leeds United, being captain and a deeply loved legend.

Honestly though, when Lucas Radebe was at the top of his game locally, in the colors of one of the biggest local clubs, Kaizer Chiefs, I didn’t really understand much about watching the game of football, but was an avid leisure player of the game, and I only really started knowing what was going on in the world of football when he had already gone abroad to play in the United Kingdom for Leeds United Football Club. I rememebr very vividly one game where he was playing and the game was televised live on local television (although I can’t remember which team Leeds was playing against), and I remember this one specific action where I caught a ...

• good look at him in his yellow kit, with the white captain’s armband and a golden chain around his neck. I also remember the commentator saying “Oh and a mistake from the captain…”.

That is just about the only experience I have had of Lucas Radebe at club level, but from what I have read about him and heard from the man himself, he is a true legend in the hearts of Leeds fans. So much so that he has an entrance named after him at the club’s stadium complex. I also once heard him recite a song the fans used to sing about him during an interview and I could only imagine how that must have made him feel as a player and captain. It was interesting to hear him explain

how he got the nickname of ‘chief’ as well amongst other things he discussed.

The stage where I really saw Radebe’s quality confirmed though, was at the 2002 FIFA World Cup held in Korea and Japan where his experience and awareness just shone through as brightly as the sun breaking through the clouds on a rainy day. I was simply blown away by how easily he had an influence on the sway of the ball when it came into the defensive territory, making things look so easy and sometimes getting involved in attacking play, scoring a goal against Spain too.

I reckon having a player like Lucas Radebe is a very great advantage for any team to have, as he has great leadership qualities as well as being a great player through and through.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 359011381180631/k2311a019/1.9.11