Apple MacBook Pro
  • I enjoy the multi-touch keyboard, the fantastic iChat features, iconic programs, and so much more
  • But, being that I was a PC user before a Mac user, there are some advantages and disadvantages I'd like to address
  • However, it was on my PC that I learned all the shortcuts that I use on Macs today
  • I haven’t noticed one that was pre-installed like iCal
  • Speaking of iTunes, the experience on a Mac is much more fun than a PC

• by Jazmin Ashlee

I received my new MacBook Pro Friday, December 31, 2010. Quite the New Year’s gift, right? I’d like to think so. The FedEx driver rang my doorbell and I answered with excited - because I knew my new computer had arrived. Previously, I’ve been using an HP laptop. And don’t get me wrong, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with an HP according to my point of view. But I was ready for something new.

So let’s get something straight. I did not choose to get a MacBook Pro. I didn’t even pay for it…yet. I just started graduate school, and the school requires students in my program (Creative Writing Masters) to have

a MacBook Pro. Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get to the qualities!

After having my MacBook for five days now, I must say I am in love with it. I enjoy the multi-touch keyboard, the fantastic iChat features, iconic programs, and so much more. But, being that I was a PC user before a Mac user, there are some advantages and disadvantages I’d like to address.

Advantages & Disadvantages: With my brand new MacBook Pro, I can simultaneously view different windows without fixing/changing any current or original settings. Currently, I’m typing this lovely review and I can see on the right of my screen, my calendar in iCal (such

a lovely program as well – we’ll get to that later). On my PC, I would have to press additional keys, learn different shortcuts and more just to figure out which screens I currently wanted to view. I was on Vista by the way and not the new, improved, and what-everyone-is-talking-about Windows 7.

However, it was on my PC that I learned all the shortcuts that I use on Macs today. There was only the slight change in the “Control” key on the PC and the “Command” key on the Mac. But that was an easy substitution. And of course, there are a bit more programs and pieces of software available ...

• Apple MacBook Pro
      for PCs than there are for Macs. But I’m 100 percent sure that’s going to change. There will be an equal amount between the two in the near future.

How about the iChat feature on the Mac in comparison to MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger on the PC? Both messengers have increasing features, however, I was shocked to see the Screen-Sharing feature on my MacBook. It truly amazed me. I have never accounted a feature like this in any messaging program/software. Wow.

And is there a Calendar service on the PC as on the Mac? I haven’t noticed one that was pre-installed like iCal. The whole interface with the calendar is amazing.

And if you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, you are able to integrated tons of information in this program as well as others such as iTunes (of course), iPhoto, Mobile Me, and so many more applications. Yes, I said applications.

Speaking of iTunes, the experience on a Mac is much more fun than a PC. There are so many options in all programs on the Mac that there aren’t on a PC and I can say that I especially enjoy it.

Overall, the MacBook Pro is an excellent tool for students/instructors, professionals, and those with creative minds (artists, writers, etc.). In conclusion, I will most likely stay with a Mac than return to a PC.

Apple MacBook Pro

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 637011380900431/k2311a017/1.7.11