Supernatural TV series  » TV  »
  • Supernatural is without a doubt the best thing to come along in paranormal horror in a long time
  • I think Padalecki has a much tougher role to play, and for him to be able to play it off is amazing
  • I really feel connected to the Sam character, and I constantly am impressed with the things that Jared is asked to pull off each week

• by Victoria Durm

Supernatural is without a doubt the best thing to come along in paranormal horror in a long time. Having begun in 2005, it is still airing in 2011! That is true staying power.

Supernatural has become one of those show that I really can’t stand to miss. It has a little bit of everything for me. From vampires to shapeshifters, this show can scare me to death one second, and crack me up the next.

The credit for such terrific balance has to go to the writers and producers. They have managed to master the art of balancing horror and comedy so well that I often forget I am watching a horror show. Instead, I am watching something that I could have easily digested as a child.

They have done almost every angle of urban legend you can think of.

They have touched on Blood Mary, Pagan gods, Wendigos, and many other legends of terror. They do it all with a new twist, and satisfying endings.

First, I need to say this. I am not a horror fan by any stretch of the imagination. I can’t stand the genre in it’s normal context. So Supernatural and I technically should have never crossed paths. However, some friends got me curious, and I checked it out.

It was love at first sight. I have to say the lead actors did it for me. They excuted the sharp dialogue and emotion dead on. Jensen Ackles has some unbelievable talent as Dean Winchester, the eldest brother. One minute, he’s cracking jokes and sarcasm. The next, he’s wasting a demon. His character is conflicted. It shows through Ackles performance clearly.

The opposite role of ...

• Sam Winchester as played by Jared Padalecki is just as great. I think Padalecki has a much tougher role to play, and for him to be able to play it off is amazing. Sam Winchester is the story, I feel. What he’s gone through due to a mistake his mother made early on is heartbreaking. I really feel connected to the Sam character, and I constantly am impressed with the things that Jared is asked to pull off each week.

From cracking jokes on his TV brother to being posessed by Lucifer, Padalecki’s Sam has been through the ringer. I would not wish this torture on my worst enemy! Yet, Padalecki pulls it off like it’s child’s play.

Recent seasons have brought aboard characters like Castiel, Uriel, and Ruby. These characters add some great chemistry to the very tight

casting that had already been done. Misha Collins, as Castiel, is witty, and pulls off deadpan so well. He has quickly become a favorite character and actor of mine. I am looking forward to more of him in other productions outside of this show.

The show is now in it’s sixth season. As someone who watch the series from 1-5 in one summer, I am very satisfied with the results of Season 6. Older fans are not, but I think the writers are still doing good for what they’re given. The actors have not waned in their performances, and that is something I have respected. Usually by the sixth season of a show of this nature, things have mellowed out, and the actors are exhausted of the repetitive neature. Not these guys. They love every minute of it, and it shows.

Supernatural TV series

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 107011380820431/k2311a017/1.7.11