Anaconda movie (1997)  » Movies  »
2.5
  • I never liked snakes and now, I like them even less after seeing this film
  • I know it is almost possible to train a real anaconda to act in a movie, but the differences between the CGI and the robot version are so obvious, it’s a little comedical
  • I enjoyed it enough to watch it every now and then, but not the kind of enjoyment where I think it should be thought of as a blockbuster

• by sarahdragon26

As if Snakes were frightening enough. Now, there are sets of movies about giant snakes that have a hunger for human flesh. It’s bad enough that Jaws freaked people out about getting into the water. I, myself, am included in that crowd. I never liked snakes and now, I like them even less after seeing this film. I saw this film, than saw a real-life anaconda at the zoo in Washington DC, the National Zoo. I didn’t care it was behind thick glass, I made flames getting out of the reptile house that day. The snake, itself, became very real to me that day.

While the snake is frightening at first, it loses

much of it frightening feeling as the movie goes on because of how fake the snake itself looks as different views of it are taken. I know it is almost possible to train a real anaconda to act in a movie, but the differences between the CGI and the robot version are so obvious, it’s a little comedical.

When I first saw the poster for this film, one word popped into my mind. Alien. The movie from 1979. And for one reason. Anaconda’s poster line was ‘When you can’t breathe, you can’t scream.’ I remember shaking my head and thinking that they really had to be like the Alien motto, ‘In space, no one ...

• can hear you scream.’ That, in itself, turned me off of the film for a while. That Anaconda had to make a motto like Alien, just to get people to look at the poster, told me that the movie might be lacking in other enjoyments as well. I was right.

In all fairness, I need to ask this question. How was this film thought of a blockbuster? How can this film with a storyline that went no where fast, be thought of a success? I enjoyed it enough to watch it every now and then, but not the kind of enjoyment where I think it should be thought of as a blockbuster. Maybe because

of the actors J-Lo and Ice Cube. While I like Ice Cube and have seen a lot of his work, J-Lo’s acting talents are null and void. They don’t exist.

The one thing that I actually did like was that the movie showed, in a rather small portion, what it is like for people from National Geographic, Disney Channel, etc. How they travel to these area of the planet that are still untamed by civilization and have difficulties to face while collecting the videos, pictures, and information they’re after. Not giant snakes mind you, but difficulties still. While I respect those people very much, it made me respect them even more for what they do.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116011380220931/k2311a016/1.6.11