Armageddon movie (1998)  » Movies  »
  • While Armageddon does provide a very interesting concept to how the world will come to an end, by an asteroid crashing into it, it also provides some interesting background information on the abilities that NASA and other astronomy organizations have to monitor the skies around us, for possible threats like asteroids and such
  • With a great supporting cast around him, Bruce Willis, in my opinion, carried this film the full way with its passion, humor, and message about how in the most desperate of times, people from all walks of life can stand together
  • I think I see that message in a lot of Michael Bay’s films
  • While the supporting cast had some of the best talent in Hollywood, Liv Tyler was not one of them
  • While the film can get a little slow and boring during the asteroid scenes or in-between, I still liked it

• by sarahdragon26

First, and foremost, Bruce Willis. Need I say more. I have yet to see a film where Bruce Willis was not playing a part written for him or a part that he did not do justice to with his own acting skills. While Armageddon does provide a very interesting concept to how the world will come to an end, by an asteroid crashing into it, it also provides some interesting background information on the abilities that NASA and other astronomy organizations have to monitor the skies around us, for possible threats like asteroids and such. Basically, that it is really hard to monitor everything out there.

With a great supporting cast around him, Bruce Willis, in

my opinion, carried this film the full way with its passion, humor, and message about how in the most desperate of times, people from all walks of life can stand together. I think I see that message in a lot of Michael Bay’s films. He does like to destroy the earth every now and then as well.

While the supporting cast had some of the best talent in Hollywood, Liv Tyler was not one of them. I have never been impressed by her performance in any of the films or music videos I have seen her in. Honestly, I think she got this role only because her dad was singing the theme song. I have to admit she did do a passable job in the role of Bruce Willis’ daughter, but there has always been something about her that I just had not liked. In more ways than one, she seems to be stuck up, even when her character doesn’t call for it.

While this movie had the passion and need to save the Earth, I think the one part I will always remember is when Bruce Willis was saying good-bye to Liv Tyler over the monitors. I started crying at the end of that scene when he signed off and not for Tyler’s performance. It was just so sad that he had to say good-bye to his daughter over a few million ...

• Armageddon movie (1998)
      miles. I’m getting tear-eyed right now, even as I write this. It has impacted me that much that just the thought is a tear-starting one.

While this film seemed to try to stay as close to the basics of space flight as possible, there was one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb. Especially for me. I was born and raised in Florida and I have seen space launches from my yard, parking lots, the beach, etc. I have even asked when I visited Kennedy Space Center, if the two space shuttles could have launched side by side like in the film. No, they can’t. That’s why the two launch pads are on opposite ends

of the launch site, in real life. If such a twin launch was needed, the forces involved would make it very, very difficult to launch them side by side or even at about the same time. Thou, it was a dramatic scene when both launches were a few seconds behind each other. No one can accuse Michael Bay of not being dramatic.

While the film can get a little slow and boring during the asteroid scenes or in-between, I still liked it. I won’t say I loved it, for I didn’t. I understand the whole asteroid and love scenes build the feeling behind the story, but they could have been shorten and still give off the same feeling.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116011380210931/k2311a016/1.6.11