Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Game/PS3)
  • Usually I prefer the more outlandish shooter games, opting for more imaginative experiences than ones that offer a more realistic vibe
  • I enjoyed that game despite it being a more history based experience, and decided to buy Call of Duty 4
  • Well, to be clear, I was disappointed with it, as it is more along the lines of an action movie than a documentary, which is what I was purchasing it for

• by redeyedfacade

I am a fan of first person shooters, there really isn’t any way around that. Usually I prefer the more outlandish shooter games, opting for more imaginative experiences than ones that offer a more realistic vibe. This is not to say I steer completely clear of military first person shooters, as is the case when I purchased Call of Duty 2. I enjoyed that game despite it being a more history based experience, and decided to buy Call of Duty 4: Modern warfare expecting the same basic experience. Well, to be clear, I was disappointed with it, as it is more along the lines of an action movie than a documentary, which is what I was purchasing it for. The game works quite well, as far as controls go, and this is no surprise. The story and general vibe, though, are meat-headed at best, and downright dumb at worst. The graphics are pretty good, and the multiplayer is quite fun in short bursts. Overall, while not at all a bad experience, Modern Warfare was not

at all what I was looking for, though I did have fun with it.

The controls in Call of Duty games are always spot on. It seems like a lot of work and planning goes into making everything feel comfortable and accessible. Your reticle points exactly where you want it to go, at the exact speed you want it to go, anytime you want it to go there. This seems like it would be common sense, but it is something that many developers have ditched for a more variable reticle, which I feel just gets in the way. The movement is especially tight and responsive, allowing you to change direction as quickly or as slowly as you want to without it being too jarring. The transition from normal movement to sprinting is also well done, and is disengaged as easily as you turn it on. From one end to the next, the controls really do work about as well as any game in history, and I would attribute this to the developers seeming obsession with keeping ...

• things as simple as possible.

The story left a lot to be desired for me, though. While I do enjoy a good action movie (that is to say, an action movie that is more cheese than actual substance), I was under the impression that Call of Duty games had more of a dedication to historical accuracy, and a basic sense of class. This seemed to be entirely missing from Modern Warfare, with massive set pieces and gratuitous action just littered around as though it were no big deal. While I can’t say this is all bad, it is just that there are endless swarms of games that go for this kind of thing, and seeing one of the few games that didn’t sell out in such wholesale fashion is a bit disappointing. Overall though, the story isn’t too bad, and manages to stay coherent despite being well over the top at a lot of moments. I would have preferred a more real story, but considering most games can’t even manage coherence, I suppose its not that

big a loss.

The graphics really are pretty decent, with smoke effects being the crown jewel. This game manages to plant so many things on screen at once that it is a wonder they managed to get everything running so smoothly. The fire out of the end of the guns is a great touch, and the way the lighting accents everything in the environments really shows off the attention to detail. One thing I noticed, though, is that the game is in sub HD, but even this is barely noticeable for the most part.

The multiplayer, while fun, was only fun in short bursts for me. I can’t say I have much fun with multiplayer in general, but I did find myself having a decent time.

While not exactly the kind of game I was looking for, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was a fun game to play for a while there. The historical accuracy and general classiness is gone, and there is a lot more cheesy action than I’d like, but this is still a great game despite these things.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 286011379930931/k2311a016/1.6.11