Eat Pray Love: The Movie
2.5
  • I found it so cheesy that she “could not find herself” in the marriage
  • I think we all come to a point in our lives where we question where we have been and where we are going
  • I know India has a lot of beautiful places to pray, but the film failed to show this
  • I don't recommend that you watch this movie even if you are going through a midlife crisis of your own

• by LaPinay

For those of you going through a midlife crisis (like me), you can easily identify with Eat Pray Love. It stars Julia Roberts, who after going through some difficult times, travels to Italy to eat, to India to pray, and finally to Bali to fall in love. It is essentially a chick flick where the entire story is summarized in the title. My apologies to Roberts, but it was truly a snooze fest from the start even if I am a chick myself. I cannot reconcile the fact that she was having a midlife crisis at 32. Did she expect to die

at 60? I also cannot get what she drama in her marriage was about. I found it so cheesy that she “could not find herself” in the marriage. Coming from a third world country where divorce is not allowed, getting confused is just not an acceptable reason to leave a marriage. What I am trying to say is that the foundation for her travel to the three countries is not well-laid. I did identify with her feelings of dissatisfaction. I think we all come to a point in our lives where we question where we have been and where we are going.

• The movie however, failed to convincingly project the turmoils of her personal crisis.

I loved the Eat part though, when she traveled to Italy. The film depicted very well the enjoyment you get from eating and I got hungry just watching Julia Roberts thoroughly enjoying her pizza. I actually fell in love with Italy, and if I were Julia Roberts I would have ended my travels there. But no, she had to go to India to pray. I know India has a lot of beautiful places to pray, but the film failed to show this. My impression of India was a dusty

country where women were forced to marry someone they did not like. It was at this time that I napped a little and woke up to beautiful Bali. However, the story moved so slow that I could not wait for it to end. Mercifully it did just before I fell asleep again.

I don’t recommend that you watch this movie even if you are going through a midlife crisis of your own. Sure you can identify with the issues in the film, but there is nothing new that you can learn or enjoy from watching other than the sheer bliss of sleeping in a movie theater.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116011379460831/k2311a016/1.6.11