AFV Club Models,Japanese Submarine I-58, in 1-350 Scale  » Other  »
  • These were soon removed however as the war situation worsened for Japan

• by Dan Burress

I build models in my spare time and I’m always on the hunt for a good subject.I have a great deal of interest in the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War Two,esp. their submarine force. I was looking for a realistic model of the Japanese submarine I-58 and was suprised to learn that AFV Club has exactly what I was looking for.

AFV Club has done an outstanding job in their reproduction of this famous ship done in 1-350 scale. The model itself is just over 1 foot in length and is packed with details which includes vent holes in the hull,detailed conning tower,weld seams on the hull and to my

surprise brass railings,and other metal fittings.The model retails for around 25.00 dollars and is well worth it.

The stern is very good with the right shape and comes with propeller guards and realistic rudder assembly.THE kit has 48 parts molded in light gray and are easy to assemble even though the instructions are in Japanese.The pictorial guide is easy to understand and there were no real problems with assembly.The decals are fresh and sharp and really add to the model.I painted the I-58 a Gunship Gray and the deck a dark tan, and then I weathered the hull with graphite and rust colored acryllic paint

The I-58 was built in 1944 ...

• as a otsu type b submarine with the ability to carry one aircraft stored in a elongated hanger just forward of the conning tower.These were soon removed however as the war situation worsened for Japan. The aircraft and hanger were replaced by a new weapon called ‘’Kaiten'’These were standard torpedoes cut in half with a one man crew section added and then reassembled as a manned torpedo.They were carried into battle and launched toward enemy ships.

The I-58 carried six of these clamped to her deck and AFV Club has done an outstanding job in recreating these in fine detail.

The I-58 would have her moment of glory when she sank the

heavy cruiser U.S.S Indianapolis in the early morning hours of July 30,1945.The Indianapolis was on her way back from delivering parts atomic bomb to the island of Tinian to be used against Hiroshima when two of the I-58′S standard torpedoes ripped into her port side sinking her in 12 minites.Over 1,000 men made it into the sea but just over 300 were rescued 4 days later.

The I-58 met her end after the war in 1946 when she was scuttled by the U.S Navy .

I would recomend tis AFV Club kit to any World War Two enthusiest who wants an accurate model of Japan’s late war submarine designs.Thumbs up!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 126011379390831/k2311a016/1.6.11