Bang Pa-In summer palace, Thailand  » Travel  »
Bang Pa-In, 30 km south of Ayutthaya, off road 3477, Thailand
  • The best scenery in my opinion is a white building with a typical Thai-style roof which is situated in the middle of a fairly large lake

• by Pusaka

Bang Pa-In is famous for its summer palace that was frequently and is still occasionally used by the king and members of his family. First I knew the Bang Pa-In from the photos shown by a Thai friend. The photos were so attractive that on one occasion I visited Bangkok, I took myself to the Bang Pa-In.

There are several ways to get there from Bangkok, first by train to Ayutthaya, the second by ferry along the Chao Phraya river while looking at scenery but you need to spend a half day, and the third by public buses. Finally the four of us (my wife, I, and two children of ours) decided to use the train which only takes 90 minutes. Apart from the delay in train schedule which was very annoying, we finally arrived in Ayutthaya, the old royal capital of Thailand before Bangkok.

Still at the railway station in Ayutthaya, a male tuk-tuk driver approached us directly and offered to drive us to Bang Pa-In (return trip) for 700 baht (23 U.S. dollars). After some negotiation, he would only go down to 650 baht. Outside the station there was a female officer who wore a uniform and offered a vehicle to Bang Pa-In (which is 30 km away), the charge was only 500 baht (slightly less than 17 U.S. dollars). Apparently she directed us to use a tuk-tuk that would be driven by the first man who offered his service earlier.

Bang Pa-In is beautiful, deserves to be called as a summer palace because of the large shade trees along the pathway. The best scenery in my opinion is a white building with a typical Thai-style roof which is situated in the middle of a fairly large lake.

• This is the building that its picture has managed to entice me to come. The first thing I do not like is the absence of any guidance on how the visitors to be able to reach the building. Another building called the main building is located more inward. It adopts Chinese style and has nice details. But again there is something I do not like. This time is the way they arrange the visitors who may only walk around this two-storey building from the outside. There is hardly any room that may be entered. Even it is also prohibited to take pictures of the interior of this building. The third deficiency is the absence of a guide books about the summer palace area. Even the food stalls are not there. The admission fee of 100 baht (3.30 US dollars) seems to be reasonable, but
        I do not think to go there again in the future.

Because there was only a little we could enjoy, so we rushed out to lunch at the rice shop which was located just a few meters across from the entrance to Bang Pa-In. The tuk-tuk driver, who had been waiting for, offered to drive us to Bang Pa-In railway station instead of Ayutthaya railway station which is farther away. I rejected the offer because of two reasons, firstly I was not sure that there was a train to Bangkok from the tiny Bang Pa-In station, and secondly my disgust to the tuk-tuk driver who wanted to quickly finish his job with the same travels fare. It turns out that I was right. After arriving in Ayutthaya, I read the train schedules, and indeed the Bang Pa-In station is mostly only just passed, it is very rare train stops there.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 386011379280731/k2311a016/1.6.11