Taylor Swift’s You Belong with Me Single
  • I kept hearing it over the radio and I thought it was a catchy song
  • I think this is one of the reasons why this song clicks
  • It is not the best there is, but it is so honest
  • Well, I like her pure, girlish voice, a little voice that genuinely expresses her emotions in this song
  • In fact, I do not even think I should make an effort to recommend it to everybody, because everybody is liking it already

• by RichieMogwai

I first was acquainted with Taylor Swift’s music through her single You Belong with Me. I kept hearing it over the radio and I thought it was a catchy song. I am no teenybopper but somehow it was not long before the single appealed to me. The connection grew gradually. I did not have to like it at first. All it did was it kept playing over the airwaves. However, I do not sense anything sinister about this gradual attachment. If anything, it is just the way songs are constructed. Each of these things needs to have a so-called hook in order to become effective.

If there is nothing in the song that latches itself into memory, then such composition is useless. Nobody will pay attention to it because there is no recall. As far as recall goes, You Belong with Me is super. It is not a perfect composition. I hear on the Web that the artist composes all her

songs in a diary style. Apparently, each song she writes, and it only takes her twenty minutes on average to fabricate a tune, is a part of what happens in her life such as the breakups she has had or other incidents, which elicited in her some deep emotion.

If this is the case, then I daresay that Taylor Swift is well connected to herself because she gets to examine aspects of her life through her music. I think this is one of the reasons why this song clicks. It is not the best there is, but it is so honest. She seems to be genuinely poring out her heart about a boy who seems to go after the wrong girl which in this case sounds like a high school cheerleader. On the other hand, the singer is a loner girl who let me guess, wears no makeup and loves to be in sneakers and jeans all the time.

No wonder Swift’s fans adore this song. It ...

• is something they can connect to, but what about me? Well, I like her pure, girlish voice, a little voice that genuinely expresses her emotions in this song. I guess it does make a difference when someone is singing a song that somebody wrote and felt about, or experienced. So my conclusion is that You Belong with Me is a classic Swift composition. I find the song not only so easy to understand, but so easy to relate to, even guys like me can appreciate the sincerity in her words. I also notice the composer’s keen grammar in the song: Note that she titled her opus You Belong with Me, not You Belong to Me. There is a big difference between these two titles even though what is separating these are just a simple preposition. I guess this is another reason why Swift’s songs click with me, I know that deep inside they are well-crafted. I do not mind being her grammar teacher in
        school. She would have earned high grades from me.

The melody blends with the lyrics of the song in such a natural way that I find it hard to separate the two. I have no idea how a composer puts the melody to a song. Does he or she start with the words, or do these come last? I also do not think there is any deep message to fetch in You Belong with Me. It is just a simple song to be enjoyed for all its honesty. In fact, I do not even think I should make an effort to recommend it to everybody, because everybody is liking it already. I can say that for the new generation, however, I cannot speak for the older generation to which I belong. I guess I am unique that way, because my tastes are rather eclectic. I tend to see the point or the beauty in any composition, whether it is a Mozart or a Taylor Swift.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 144011378760931/k2311a014/1.4.11