Catching Fire (2nd Book of The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins)
  • Most of the people I know who have read The Hunger Games Trilogy like the second book best
  • However, in my opinion, I still like the first book “The Hunger Games” better, although Catching Fire is undoubtedly very good as well
  • What I like about the book is that it is still as interesting and poignant as the first, and has introduced a new set of characters which are as strong as endearing as the original ones

• by TheCity

Most of the people I know who have read The Hunger Games Trilogy like the second book best. However, in my opinion, I still like the first book “The Hunger Games” better, although Catching Fire is undoubtedly very good as well.

Catching Fire is actually the start of the districts’ revolution against the Capitol, which has been oppressing them for 75 years. It sets a more revolutionary tone for the rest of the series and is a transition towards all-out war. While the first book shows us the world of Panem

and is a very engrossing story focusing on personal survival in the Hunger Games, the second one focuses on the discontent of the people and goes beyond something greater than the self. It begins with the victory tour of Katniss and Peeta after winning the games the year before, and then goes into the 75th Hunger Games, which was rigged to include Katniss again. It then details a series of events which finally uncover the long-planned plot to revolt against the Capitol.

What I like about the book is that ...

• it is still as interesting and poignant as the first, and has introduced a new set of characters which are as strong as endearing as the original ones. What I do not like about it is that it has less action and suspense, and less focus on the danger of the games, which kept me on my feet during the first book. The game becomes less dangerous and more predictable the second time around although the characters still keeps it quite interesting. The fact that it has less action and
        suspense, and is heavier and more focused on ideology, makes it a slower and heavier read. Regardless, I loved the book and couldn’t put it down.

The second book in a trilogy is really sort of some transition between the beginning and the climax, and is normally less eventful and climactic as the other books in the series. This one is no different. But As far as second books go, Catching Fire is a very good one, and I would say that it is a must-read once you’ve gotten started with the first book.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 174011378560931/k2311a014/1.4.11