St. Boniface Church in Metro Toronto, Canada  » Religion  »
21 Markanna Drive, Metro Toronto, Ontario, M1M 2H9, telephone number 1-416-261-5983
  • While some people have a problem with merging both faiths, I clearly do not
  • I love the stained glass frescoes on the windows, which depict the twelve Stations of the Cross
  • But because of this, I remember all the songs because I learned to sing them from the book
  • What I like most about the Christian faith in this Roman Catholic bastion is the fact that prayers are like menus as these come already prepared in what is called a missalette, the word we often use to refer to the printed version of the mass
  • However they may seem artificial, I know that they are there for a reason

• by RichieMogwai

St. Boniface Church in Scarborough, Canada is a Roman Catholic church, and as such, it looks like a traditional house of worship. It is a sparkling white church, which cannot be missed as one traverses Markham Road on a busy Sunday morning. It was my mother who introduced me to this church and in fact, this was the first church I ever attended since the whole family moved to Canada. My father is very active in this church; in fact he assists the parish priest on a regular basis, driving him to important meetings or even last rites engagements. He also manages St. Boniface’s publication.

I used to attend St. Boniface on a regular basis, up until I discovered neighboring Scarborough Gospel Temple, which is a born-again Christian haven, as opposed to the former’s Catholic persuasion. While some people have a problem with merging both faiths,

I clearly do not. One spiritual revelation I had in 2002 thought me to not discriminate between the two religious denominations. Although my mom and dad are happier when I attend their church, they do not mind either if I decide to spend the Sunday mass at the temple.

Father Pilkauskas, the chief priest is an excellent preacher. I feel God’s presence in his sermons, and I often see him at home too, since he has my father at his beck and call. The previous head priest, Fr. Bolger sometimes officiated the mass, although he was ready semi-retired. For some reason, my nieces and nephews seem to remember Fr. Bolger more fondly, and never seem to tire of talking about him when they see him at the church.

The altar of St. Boniface church is impressive. I love the stained glass frescoes on the windows, which ...

• depict the twelve Stations of the Cross. They remind me in a personal way of Jesus Christ’s Calvary, especially considering He had sacrificed so much, giving His life to every Christian in order to save him or her from eternal damnation.

Church services at St. Boniface are full packed on Sundays, despite offering several masses. I often found myself standing at the back, especially whenever I missed the start of the service. I loved participating in the singing of the hymns, particularly whenever it was time to pull out the thick black book, which contained all the songs. While song lyrics are projected on a screen at Scarborough Gospel, singing at St. Boniface is old school. But because of this, I remember all the songs because I learned to sing them from the book.

What I like most about the Christian faith in this

Roman Catholic bastion is the fact that prayers are like menus as these come already prepared in what is called a missalette, the word we often use to refer to the printed version of the mass. Of all the Christian faiths in the world, I think this sector succeeds because it offers a fast-food mentality to Christianity. There is a pre-formed prayer for nearly every tribulation or situation. While some people are often critical of this, I find it rather comforting. This is because by simplifying the faith, it is easier for the common person to reach up to God. In fact, when I attend the service at St. Boniface Church, it gives me tremendous satisfaction to take part in reading the prayer rituals as well as the prescribed Bible verses. However they may seem artificial, I know that they are there for a reason.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 514011378520931/k2311a014/1.4.11