Tron: Legacy movie
1.5
  • My winter holiday began last week and after months and months of toil and mental abuse offered freely and in great quantities by the glorious educational system, I decided that there would be no greater way to commence the days of pseudo-freedom than going to see a movie
  • I definitely recommend acquiring the soundtrack created by Daft Punk
  • Lastly, I enjoyed the general look and feel of the Grid
  • I believe that this movie's greatest flaw was the fact that it tried to feed on the cult classic, ignoring the fact that the older, visually inferior version has a better story, more believable and relatable characters and originality, whereas this one simply has CGI and 3D
  • Throwing rocks at birds perched on a fence is mindless entertainment, and I think that endeavour is more thrilling than Tron

• by Lavi

My winter holiday began last week and after months and months of toil and mental abuse offered freely and in great quantities by the glorious educational system, I decided that there would be no greater way to commence the days of pseudo-freedom than going to see a movie. And not just any movie. The supposed work of art of Winter 2010. An epic fed to me mercilessly before each and every film since summer. A sequel to a cult classic. None other than Tron: Legacy. To say that I was hyped is an understatement. I entered that overly crowded cinema burdened by illegally brought in food and months of gathered excitement. My expectations were high. The trailer was well made, offering a teasing glimpse into a world that fascinates and perplexes. It looked glorious. It seemed intelligent. It could have been grand. It sucked beyond belief. And thus begins my review.

This movie was absolutely terrible, and I say this with the utmost pain and frustration because I really tried to like it, I really forced myself to get into the whole story, to find a semblance of sense to the painfully inexistent plot, to perhaps observe a spark of personality behind pretty, but otherwise useless faces. Alas, no matter how much I tried to cling onto the illusion that my money was not simply wasted, in the end I had to come to terms with my mistake.

First of all, the plot. Important to a movie, right? Well, Tron: Legacy lacks in it on an almost insulting level. Sure, things do happen, but the pace is so ridiculous,

it is hard to get into the whole action. Sometimes rushed, sometimes slow, unequal and punctured with holes. At the very end, when you are trying hard to keep your eyes open, the cheesy finale kicks in and then the credits and you stand up, dropping (or throwing) the uncomfortable 3D glasses and you ask yourself where were the last two hours lost? In Narnia, probably, and you are not getting them back.

Secondly, the characters. Empty, shallow, based solely on apperance (in Olivia Wilde’s case; she is superb, eye candy for all, but there is nothing going on with her character), cursed by all the imagineable cliches of Hollywood and American culture, and their dialogue is abysmal to say the least. As uneven as the plot. Unrealistic, either too rushed, or too slow, annoying (I can only listen to Jeff Bridges saying “man” and “radical” that much), and just badly written. They use so many scientific terms, not all of them relevant or precise, simply to sound more technical, to add to the Sci-Fi vibe, although very few are explained in a way that makes sense.

Third, the 3D. This was not Avatar, nor was it Legend of the Guardians. Hell, it wasn’t even The Final Destination. The aforementioned are movies in which 3D makes sense, and in which quality 3D was used. The 3D used in Tron, although I admit, the concept of having only the virtual world transformed was appealing, is useless. It is the kind that makes your eyes hurt, and all you get is characters that are a little closer to you. The battles ...

• are unimpressive in 2D, so there is nothing that a slight shift of the image can improve. The ticket is more expensive and you truly get nothing for the extra money. This movie would have been a fail even for the basic ticket, but when you end up paying more for something so horrendous, you feel the burn. Shiny garbage is, nonetheless, garbage.

There were positive elements too, I will admit, and these sparse elements are the ones that manage to keep this pile of infectious CGI above floating point. The soundtrack was fantastic, and it really worked hard to bring the viewer in that cyber universe. It acted as more of a character than the young Flynn who does nothing to impress, or the old one whose existence one doesn’t care about even after the outcome of the film. I definitely recommend acquiring the soundtrack created by Daft Punk. An excellent performance.

Something else I appreciated was the length. Believe it or not, I hate going to the cinema to watch movies that barely last one hour and a half. But the problem with Tron: Legacy was that the absence of an understandable plot and relevant character development clashed violently with such an extended duration of time. There was nothing to fill those wasted hours, and it ended up being tedious and sleep-inducing. Maybe this movie is a cure for insomnia and my friends and I were not the proper test subjects.

Lastly, I enjoyed the general look and feel of “the Grid”. It did look more modern than its predecessor, and I could believe in its existence.

The discs and the light bikes were pretty sexy, yet their exaggerated use canceled out whatever value they could have added to this flop. As I mentioned before, the characters are all beautiful, some powerfully sexualized, some enhanced by state of the art effects, but to me this matters not if the moment they open their mouths to speak coincides with the moment of them falling forever into a dark ocean of stupidity, cliche and lack of sense.

I believe that this movie’s greatest flaw was the fact that it tried to feed on the cult classic, ignoring the fact that the older, visually inferior version has a better story, more believable and relatable characters and originality, whereas this one simply has CGI and 3D. Seriously, there isn’t much a normal person would appreciate. No romance, drama, thrills or meaning. Action scene after action scene, yes, but after the age of 14 you expect something more from a two-hour flick. Right? Is it just me?

In conclusion, I do not recommend paying the extra 3D money for this horrible display of computer generated graphics. If you truly want to see it and invest time into it, I suggest renting it, or finding it on the internet. Is it suitable for mindless entertainment? Yes. But is this what movies have been reduced to these past few years? I try to hope with all my soul that this is not the case. The cinema is an art. Throwing rocks at birds perched on a fence is mindless entertainment, and I think that endeavour is more thrilling than Tron: Legacy.

Tron: Legacy movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 114011377690731/k2311a014/1.4.11